$1275
$2000

Review: New sound strikes country gold

Country artist Jake Owen debuts his fourth studio album, “Days of Gold,” with 12 songs including topics such as heartache, love and partying in the backwoods. The majority of the songs are fun, easy-listening tracks, and Owen’s strong vocals make for a notable album. The only aspect that could make this album better would be if Owen had written the songs himself to create a more personal work.

The best track on the album is “Good Timing,” a slow, melodic song about a lonely boy and girl who meet at a party and instantly fall in love. Owen’s voice stands out above the quiet instrumentation of the slow drums and reticent electric guitar.

While Owen’s voice still retains its country twang, the track “Tall Glass of Something” has more of a funky sound, with Owen speaking most of the song and a record scratching in the background. The song adds a surprisingly satisfying twist to a conventionally country artist.

It seems like Owen spent a long time working on perfecting the majority of the songs, and his passion for music is evident throughout the album with his emotional vocals.

$1275
$2000