$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

College Briefs April 28

Students awarded scholarships and will attend NYC ceremony

Students at Ithaca College were awarded six of 22 scholarships by the New York Women in Communications Foundation. These  recipients are freshman Anna Gardner; sophomores Laura Amato, Katie Baldwin and Alison Hartley; and juniors Allison Latini and Gabrielle Reese. They will be recognized April 25 at the annual Matrix Awards at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York City. More than 1,000 people from the communications industry are expected
to attend.

The event will feature Matrix Awards winners and presenters, including Katie Couric, Nancy Dubuc, Lena Dunham, Bonnie Hammer, Liz Kaplow and Gloria Steinem, among many others.

The New York Women in Communications Foundation is the largest foundation for communications scholarship for women in the
United States.

IC School of Business receives national ranking from Bloomberg

The Ithaca College School of Business has been recognized for the first time as one of the top 100 undergraduate business schools in the nation by Bloomberg Businessweek. It was revealed April 19 that the school ranked 87th
nationally and sixth in New York state.

Bloomberg surveyed nearly 30,000 students and recruiters at almost 600 companies to compile its ranking, which is intended to help guide prospective college students and their families in choosing the right business program.

College to host film screening depicting life of Holocaust survivor

“The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life” will be screened 7–8:30 p.m. April 28 in Textor 102. This event is presented by the Ithaca College Gerontology Institute in partnership with Hillel at Ithaca College and the Department of Jewish Studies.

“The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life”  is about 109-year-old Alice Herz Sommer, the world’s oldest pianist and holocaust survivor. In the film, Herz Sommer shares her views on how to live a long, happy life and discusses laughter, music and how to remain optimistic. The film features photographs and rare footage. Those interested can view the official trailer at http://bit.ly/1VKpS1Y.

This event is free and open to the public.

Health Center to give massages to help with stress from finals

The Center for Health Promotion is teaming up with A Massage Station of Ithaca to provide chair massages to Ithaca College students. There will be a massage day from noon to 5 p.m. May 10. These chair massages are intended to help students manage stress during finals week. They cost $1 per minute, and sign-ups are available. The maximum time for a massage is 30 minutes. Students can prepay using PayPal or credit card. This event will take place in the Center for Health Promotion on the lower level of the Hammond Health Center.

Ithaca College Staff Council seeks nominations for trustee

The Ithaca College Staff Council is seeking nominations for staff members interested in serving a three-year term as the staff trustee on Ithaca College’s Board of Trustees. The staff trustee is a fully participating and voting member of the board of trustees.

Nominations should be directed to [email protected] by 5 p.m. May 11, with a formal statement of interest.

The staff trustee position begins on June 1. The trustee is expected to share the staff perspective with the board. There are three scheduled trustee meetings each year in February, May and October.

There may be additional meetings called as necessary, including those for individual committees. The trustee may be asked to attend other meetings and events on campus when appropriate.

Trustees also march in Commencement and Convocation each year.

The staff trustee is expected to participate in full board meetings as well as sit on two additional committees. The trustee may submit preferences for committees, but placement is not guaranteed. Committee membership is re-
assigned each year.

The current committees are Audit; Buildings and Grounds; Compensation and Assessment; Educational Affairs; Enrollment and Communications; Institutional Advancement and Campaign; Finance; Investment; and Governance.

Cornell arboretum to host event

There will be free tours of the F.R. Newman Arboretum at Cornell University to celebrate Arbor Day from noon to 1:30 p.m. April 29. The F.R. Newman Arboretum covers 100 acres, has two large ponds and has a number of footpaths and scenic views. A tour guide arborist will show visitors examples of native trees and other species from similar climate zones around
the world.

The Arboretum is located at 1 Plantations Road. This event will continue regardless of the weather.

$1375
$2000