$1275
$2000

Baseball defeats SUNY Brockport for seventh consecutive win

CAITIE IHRIG/THE ITHACAN
Freshman Matt Carey stole second base in the bottom of the sixth against SUNY Brockport April 27.

The Ithaca College baseball team extended its winning streak to seven games on April 27 at Freeman Field against SUNY Brockport in a non-conference matchup.

The Bombers earned a 7–2 victory and are now 20–12 this season, while Brockport’s record fell to 19–16. With the victory, the baseball program now has 40 20-win seasons in its history.

Pitching dominated much of the matchup, as the Bombers held Brockport’s offense scoreless until the seventh inning.

Senior Benji Parkes went 6.1 strong innings while giving up six hits and two unearned runs. Throughout the game, as he only walked two batters while striking out three. Parkes improved his record to 5–3 on the season while lowering his earned run average to 4.01.

The Bombers got off to a quick start, as freshman center fielder Matt Carey scored after a muffed throw by Brockport’s pitcher. Four innings later, junior shortstop Trevor Thompson hit a solo home run to extend the lead to 2–0. Thompson now has three home runs on the season and 25 RBIs.

The Blue and Gold went on to score two more runs in the sixth after another error by the Brockport defense allowed Carey to score again. Freshman catcher Adam Gallagher singled to left field to score senior designated hitter John Stanley.

Brockport picked up two runs in the seventh after a bases-loaded walk brought home one run before a single by sophomore first baseman Jack Wallwork plated the second run.

The following inning, senior first baseman Zach Cole launched a two-run triple into right field to score Carey and sophomore pinch hitter Brennan McCormack. Cole would later score in the inning on a fielder’s choice to first base.

Senior reliever Ryan Contegni came in late in the game to relieve Parkes and went 2.2 solid innings without giving up a run. Contegni struck out two en route to his second save of the season.

The Bombers had solid base-running throughout the day, as Carey and junior second baseman Josh Savacool each stole a base. After starting the season on a cold streak, senior left fielder Cam Oathout has managed to raise his batting average to .289 and is currently riding a four-game hitting streak after going 2–3.

The Blue and Gold will play next at 1 and 3:30 p.m. April 30 and 1 p.m. May 1 against St. John Fisher in Rochester, N.Y., for a three-game conference series.

$1275
$2000