$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Herons get the best of Bombers field hockey in 2–1 defeat

Senior+captain+Olivia+Salindong+dribbles+the+ball+during+the+field+hockey+teams+4%E2%80%930+win+over+Hartwick+College+on+Sept.+23+at+Higgins+Stadium.+
Caitie Ihrig/The Ithacan
Senior captain Olivia Salindong dribbles the ball during the field hockey team’s 4–0 win over Hartwick College on Sept. 23 at Higgins Stadium.

The Ithaca College field hockey team headed into a matchup with undefeated William Smith College on Sept. 30 riding a two-game winning streak. However, the Bombers failed their biggest test of the season, losing to the No. 5 ranked Herons by a final score of 2–1 in an under-the-lights battle at Higgins Stadium.

The Herons capitalized on their first penalty corner of the night nine minutes into the first half.

Sophomore Maura Moran started the action with an entry pass that found the stick of fellow sophomore Hannah Wood. The ensuing shot was saved by the Bombers junior goalie Katie Lass, but the rebound found junior Jessica Borbee’s stick, who pounded home her second goal of the season to stake William Smith to a 1–0 lead.

The Blue and Gold responded six minutes later off their own penalty corner.

Junior Colleen Keegan-Twombly ignited the Bomber offense with her team-leading fifth goal of the season. Senior captain Olivia Salindong received an entry pass from junior Lauren Delia and fed Keegan-Twombly, who fired home the equalizer, making it 1–1.

The score would remain deadlocked at one heading into halftime. William Smith’s one goal in the first half was the fewest they had scored all year, despite pounding the Bombers net with 11 shots in the opening stanza.

The Bombers came out strong in the second half, attempting two penalty corners and getting off two shots before the half was five minutes old, but neither chance found the net. The defense also took control, holding William Smith shotless until 11 minutes into the second half.

With 14:25 to go in the game, the South Hill squad took its time-out to compose its game plan for the remainder of the game. It would prove fruitless, however, as William Smith would take the lead immediately after.

Moran fed a penalty corner entry pass to sophomore Alexandra Frary. Frary’s shot was blocked, but senior Caitlin Wood picked up the loose change and potted her 14th goal of the year giving William Smith a 2–1 lead.

The tally would prove to be the difference as the Bombers failed to convert on their last two shots of the game.

With the loss, the Blue and Gold fall to 6–3 on the season. The South Hill squad will return action at 4 p.m. Oct. 7 against Wells College at Higgins Stadium.

$1495
$2000