$1275
$2000

Men’s basketball endures third straight loss to Stevens

The Bombers were looking to snap a two-game winless streak when they traveled down to Hoboken, New Jersey, to battle with Stevens Institute of Technology Feb. 9. The result was much of the same, as the Ducks prevailed in a tight contest, 89–87.

Offensively, it was the usual suspects for the South Hill squad. Sophomore guard Marc Rozynes-Chasin was the game’s high scorer with 28 points, while classmate Joey Flanagan chipped in with 16 of his own. Freshman guard Peter Ezema recorded his 10th double-double of the season with 10 points and 10 rebounds on the night.

Stevens had four players in double-digit points, and all were north of the 15-point mark. Senior forward Alex Lorenz tallied 21 and junior guard Patrick Barron posted 18. Junior Evan Klimchak and sophomore Chris Cosgrove each scored 16 in the win.

The Bombers led 45–44 at the halfway point. Rozynes-Chasin scored 19 of his 28 points in the first frame and was near perfect shooting, making eight of his 10 shots from the floor. On the other side, Lorenz was perfect, cashing in all six of his shots and both of his free throw attempts.

Despite finding themselves in a 12-point deficit early in the second half, the Blue and Gold fought back and held an 87–84 lead with 33 seconds left in the game. After Klimchak converted a layup to cut the lead to one, senior captain Sam Bevan was fouled but missed both free throws.

On the ensuing possession, Klimchak was fouled by Ezema and made both shots from the charity stripe to give the Ducks an 88–87 lead. Lorenz converted one more to make it 89–87, and with three seconds remaining, it was Klimchak with a steal to seal the win for Stevens.

The Bombers’ record now stands at 11–10 overall and 5–7 in Empire 8 Conference play, putting them in a tie for fifth place in the Empire 8 standings with Alfred University, though the Saxons currently hold the head-to-head advantage.

The squad looks to get its momentum back and start a four-game home stand to close the season at 6 p.m. Jan. 12 when Houghton College visits the South Hill in Ben Light Gymnasium.

$1275
$2000