$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Men’s basketball team remains winless in conference play

Michael Tamburri/The Ithacan

It was the same old song and dance for the men’s basketball team Jan. 24, as Stevens Institute of Technology handed the Bombers an 85–68 loss.

Both teams scored early and often in the first half, but the Ducks led 43–33 after 20 minutes of play. Senior guard Chris Jordan said despite being within striking distance at the half, the team is still struggling to put together a complete game.

“We got down and came out a little slow again, which seems to be the story of us this year,” he said. “We were trying to put 40 minutes together and fight with the same intensity we started the game with.”

However, the Bombers could not match the same energy in the second half, as they trailed by as many as 18 points to Stevens. The squad was able to trim the lead to six points with a little more than five minutes left in regulation, but the Ducks’ late push put the game out of reach.

Head coach Jim Mullins said his team’s momentum stalled after closing the lead to six points, and it ultimately cost them the game.

The South Hill squad had strong production off their bench, as junior guard Max Masucci came alive in the second half finishing hitting four 3-pointers. Masucci, the Blue and Gold’s leading scorer, sank 16 points out of 32 points from off the bench.

Mullins said Masucci can be a streaky shooter but can help spark a comeback when the team needs it.

“When [Masucci] gets on a roll and starts feeling comfortable with a shot, he is a very capable shooter, and we saw that tonight,” Mullins said.

The Blue and Gold have a 4–13 record and are still winless in Empire 8 conference competition. The Bombers look to turn around quickly, as the team will host conference rival Hartwick College at 2 p.m. Saturday in Ben Light Gymnasium.

Masucci said the team will be looking for revenge against the Hawks who beat the Bombers by 42 points back on Jan. 3.

“We have had a very good reputation against Hartwick in the past, and we match up very good against them,” he said. “We switched up the offense, and it’s our house, and we need to protect that court and go into that game with our killer instinct.”

$1375
$2000