$1275
$2000

Track and field competes in the ECAC Outdoor Championship

After two days of competition at the Eastern College Athletic Conference Outdoor Championships on May 18–19, the women’s track and field team took home second place, while the men placed ninth.

The women were leading with 32.5 points after the first day over 59 other schools, and ended the meet with 57.5 points. The men, competing against 52 other schools, were in 11th with 10 points after the first day and finished with 26 points. Rowan University claimed the ECAC titles on both the women’s and men’s side.

For the women, junior Brandy Smith won the shot put event with her throw of 14.14 meters. Smith also won the discus event with a throw of 51.92 meters, almost seven meters farther than the runner-up.

Junior Katherine Pitman placed first in pole vault with a 3.96-meter vault. Sophomore Grace Ryan took second in the triple jump with a 11.56-meter leap. Sophomore Taryn Cordani ran the 5,000-meter run in 17:19.51, which was also good enough for a second-place finish. Junior Natalie Meyer took fourth in the high jump, reaching 1.69 meters, while sophomore Denise Ibarra claimed fifth in the 3000-meter steeplechase, clocking in at 11:05.50.

On the men’s team, sophomore David Dorsey hit a personal best of 4.61 meters in pole vault, placing fifth in the meet. Sophomore Tim Chappell also had a fifth-place finish in the 10,000-meter run, clocking in at 32:23.21. Senior Andrew Brandt was the runner-up in the high jump, reaching 2.06 meters. In the 1,500-meter run, junior Sean Phillips placed seventh finishing in 3:55.93.

The next competition for both squads will be the NCAA Championships on May 26–28 in Waverly, Iowa.

$1275
$2000