•  

September 24, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

But Where’s Laverne?

By | Apr 25, 2014

Since 2007, TIME magazine has welcomed online input to its “TIME 100” list of the most influential people in the world.

Sky Ferreira Misses the Point Completely

By | Apr 20, 2014

Pop singer Sky Ferreira rose from relative irrelevancy on Wednesday (April 16) when her new video for “I Blame Myself” was met with accusations of racism for its one-dimensional portrayal of black men living in the famed Los Angeles neighborhood of Compton.

Media Coverage of Suicide Needs Improvement

By | Apr 17, 2014

As this month commemorates the 20th anniversary of the Kurt Cobain’s death, I am reminded of the iconic headlines that alerted the world to the tragedy.

Fun With Names: Baby Names and Pop Culture

By | Apr 11, 2014

AV Club reported today that “Khaleesi,” a word from the fictional language Dothraki of the Game of Thrones universe (approximately translating to “queen”), is a trending baby name: 146 “Khaleesi”s were born in 2012, compared to 136 “Betty”s and 106 “May”s.

Golden Age of Female Superheroes May Be Around the Corner

By | Apr 8, 2014

In October, a tongue-in-cheek blog post laid out the argument against a Wonder Woman film: female action heroes don’t work, no director would want to make it, no actress could suit the role, and Catwoman all-around sucked.

#CancelColbert More Complicated Than a Single Tweet (Pt. 2)

By | Apr 2, 2014

When I wrote about the ‘other side’ of the #CancelColbert controversy, the side that is being ignored by the mainstream media airtime but is at the heart of why the movement is so important, I realized I was getting myself into tricky territory.

#CancelColbert Aftermath Proves Campaign’s Vitalness (Part 1)

By | Apr 1, 2014

When I first saw the “#CancelColbert” movement filling up my Twitter dashboard, my initial reaction was to defend the host.

Wu-Tang Clan and the “value of music”

By | Mar 26, 2014

In December, when I wrote about the surprise release of Beyoncé’s self-titled fifth album for Imprint Magazine, I dismissed the argument that its marketing gimmick was the only force behind its explosive sales, but it seemed like a no-brainer that we’d see record labels taking risks with their methods of distribution for a chance at higher sales.

Back Up the Rabbit Hole for ‘Alice in Arabia’

By | Mar 23, 2014

Should ABC Family have known better than to offer us a peek at the premise of its Alice in Arabia pilot before the show even went into production?

Tumblr Brings Gender-Sex Fluidity to the Mainstream

By | Mar 20, 2014

I recently had the good fortune to be able to attend a lecture by Professor Ritch Savin-Williams of the Cornell University Human Ecology school.

Gaga Makes Another Statement, But What Was It?

By | Mar 16, 2014

Trigger Warning: sexual assault, ED
In one of the most bizarre moves of a career characterized by publicity-grabbing stunts, Lady Gaga invited performance artist Millie Brown to vomit on her during a rendition of her song “Swine” at the SXSW music festival Thursday (March 13).

25 Years of W3: The Internet Crosses a Milestone

By | Mar 14, 2014

Following decades of network technology development, a quiet breakthrough was reached in 1991 when Tim Berners-Lee published the first publicly-available website, info.cern.ch.