Advertisement
  •  

Accuracy • Independence • Integrity

December 16, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

…Then they fight, and then we win

By | Dec 23, 2014

A police officer emerged and informed her that she could only enter with her attorney and either her father, mother or husband. Laura replied that none of those people were available, and asked for a support person.

“No, the court is closed.”

Not long after, one of our pro bono legal advisers, Sujata Gibson, arrived and engaged with this officer, informing him that barring the public from court was unconstitutional and illegal.

“Sheriff’s orders,” the officer replied. “Take it up with him.”

Learning the Jails

By | Dec 8, 2014

Before myself and my comrades began lining up in front of Crestwood Midstream’s gates on Route 14 just north of Watkins Glen, I never put much thought into the area jails. I had no clue that there was a jail in Watkins Glen right across the street from the picturesque state park, and I admit to not even knowing that there was a jail in each county. Now I find these various jails to be at an almost constant forefront of my mind.

My First Vegan Thanksgiving

By | Nov 28, 2014

Me: “Grandpa! Do you want to try some cookie dough?”
Grandpa: “You’re not supposed to eat raw cookie dough.”
Me: “There’s no eggs in it.”
Grandpa: “What’s wrong with eggs?”
Me: “Grandpa, eggs are the reason why you aren’t supposed to eat raw cookie dough.”

Risky Business

By | Nov 16, 2014

My heart was pounding as I brushed the excess sand off the jar, and it wasn’t because I was risking trespass charges. It was because I knew there was a chance I was risking my life. Once I screwed the lid on, I frantically brushed my gloves off on my pant leg, and then did the best I could to shake the stuff off my pants. A little voice in my head told me that trying to decontaminate myself was futile, that if I had been smart I would have come here equipped with a mask. It could already be in my lungs.

Obama, did you hear us knocking?

By | Nov 7, 2014

I looked around the crowd and saw mostly familiar faces. Our words were not falling on any new ears, let alone any ears belonging to a person who had the authority to create immediate action and change.

When All Else Fails

By | Oct 31, 2014

I clarified to him that our blockade was not going to let anything in or out.

“Well, I’m going to open the gates, then!” He declared in a tone that said, ‘alright, you asked for it.’ The negotiation phase was over; now, they were using intimidation.

When he opened the gates, the driver climbed into his truck and lurched forward, blaring his horn.

My Mom is a Bartender

By | Oct 21, 2014

Amidst a swirl of budget cuts and an ever-increasing workload, Mom resigned from her job as a school psychologist at the Watkins Glen School District in 2012. After resigning, she took up a profession she had been doing on and off since she was 18 and in college: bartending.

First Amendment Rights Don’t Come First

By | Oct 3, 2014

…as the excitement from Flood Wall Street died down, I saw that day much differently. I now see how tightly the police controlled us, and, subsequently, how watered-down our first amendment right to peaceably assemble was.

Our Car-Centered Society

By | Sep 29, 2014

While walking along Route 65 out of Maumee and toward Toledo, a pick-up truck operated by a sleeping driver struck me head on. Unlike the unfortunate Peace Marcher in 1986, I can live to tell the tale.

Letter to the Future

By | Sep 20, 2014

I turned to Kelsey and told her for the first time in my life I was having second thoughts about having children, and we broke down and cried together right there on the bench.

Pushing My Weight

By | Sep 17, 2014

My fellow marcher Mack McDonald often cites the following statistic: if every single American started living a truly sustainable lifestyle tomorrow, it would only cut about 20 percent of our emissions. The other 80 percent comes from industry and corporations.

The Fruits of Our Labor

By | Aug 29, 2014

…corporations have no right to be exploiting people, whether they live in Nebraska or Texas or the Ecuadorian Rainforest, and I know that this current system cannot last. Although the Tar Sands Blockade failed to stop TransCanada in the south, the northern section of KXL has not been built because of activists.