$1275
$2000

Book of Mormon Goes National

Broadway fans, you’re in for a treat. After massive acclaim last February, “The Book of Mormon,” a religious satirical musical, will begin a national tour beginning Aug. 14 in the Ellie Caulkins Opera House in Denver, Co. It’ll then mosey to Los Angeles’ Pantages Theatre from Sept. 5 to Nov. 25, then have a two-week fling in Minneapolis’ Orpheum Theatre from Feb. 5 to 17 next year. It’s also reported that a separate production of “The Book of Mormon” will open in Chicago’s Bank of America Theater on Dec. 1 of next year. So far these are the only known dates, and casting has yet to be confirmed for any production.

What’s fascinating about “The Book of Mormon” is the story of its inception. “South Park” creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker first dabbled in musicals in their 1993 “Cannibal! The Musical” and “South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut.” Both Stone and Parker grew up in Denver and reportedly had a youthful fascination with local Mormons and Mormonism itself, with references in “Orgazmo”,  “Bigger, Longer and Uncut” and in the “All About Mormons” episode of “South Park.” After years of exhaustive back-and-forth, Stone, Parker and a revolving door of big-name producers were satirically chronicled in the “Broadway Bro Down” episode of South Park. Soon after, “The Book of Mormon” finally came to be.

Charles Bukowski once wrote “If you have to wait for it to roar out of you, then wait patiently.” This fits Stone and Parker to a T. All the years of uncertainty paid off to the tune of nine Tony Awards and the recording becoming the highest-charting Broadway album in more than four decades. This goes to show that inspiration and a wealth of ideas come from the most unexpected places.

$1275
$2000