$1275
$2000

Happy Pilot Season!

As much as I love the holidays (which I talked about in my last blog post), pilot season is definitely the most wonderful time of the year.

Pilot season — which, in the television industry, comes right after development season — is when broadcast networks have chosen scripts to make into actual episodes. This is a network’s way of saying “hey, we are very interested in having your show as part of our 2013 season.”

Generally, cable networks aren’t involved in pilot season because they don’t follow the traditional broadcast schedule. Yet, because of the successes of cable dramas (like “Homeland,” “Girls,” and “Louie”), a lot of new shows are trying to mimic these already successful premises.

An example of this is NBC’s new show “Deception.”  Having seen the pilot, I can tell you that the show is mediocre.  But, having seen the pilot and also being a fan of the soapy Hamptons-set “Revenge,” “Deception” is a shadow of the ABC drama.

Again, I love pilot season. I’m excited for The CW’s “Hunger Games”-esque “Selection” and Donald Glover’s upcoming comedy pilot, but I can’t say I’m excited for the inevitable copycats.

After all, if “Homeland” is so great already, do we really need another one?

$1275
$2000