$1275
$2000

Review: ‘Full Speed’ can’t keep pace with hip-hop greats

Courtesy of RCA Records

It begins with two bars of a catchy trumpet swing and a single “Yeah,” yet it may leave many of the listeners saying “No.” With a lack of lyrical prowess and an inconsistent sound, rapper Kid Ink’s newest album flops.

Kid Ink’s third studio album, titled “Full Speed,” is his second attempt — and failure — to make a racecar-themed hip-hop album. He expands upon the racecar theme after releasing “My Own Lane” in January 2014. Similar to his last album, Kid Ink struggles to find a consistent sound, and his music continues to disappoint.

The album’s most popular single, “Body Language,” featuring Usher and Tinashe, attempts to be a radio-friendly hit with a simple and clean, yet provocative, chorus. It misses the mark, though, when Kid Ink sacrifices too much of his limited lyrical ability to try to make a hit.

The album’s weakest song, “Cool Back,” opens with a sound reminiscent of Tyga’s “Rack City” from 2011. The repetition of “I’m just tryna bring cool back,” utilizes childish diction with very little obvious benefit to the song. Throughout the album, it often feels like Kid Ink is trying just a bit too hard to be hip and catchy. Instead, it comes off as contrived.

Lastly, the song “Like a Hott Boyy,” does not add to the album. Kid Ink is actually the most talented person on the track, which features Young Thug and Bricc Baby Shitro, fairly new artists with little discography to their credit. It’s a poor tribute to the early Cash Money Records group “The Hot Boys,” which featured Lil’ Wayne.

Kid Ink’s newest album disappoints. He isn’t lyrically competitive with the rest of hip-hop’s finest, and the beats leave something to be desired. Kid Ink has yet to make anything other than a below-average hip-hop album.

$1275
$2000