$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Academic Workflow initiative releases change of major form

Students are now able to change their majors through an online process rather than a series of signatures and paper forms.

The Academic Workflow Implementation Group, two committees of students, staff, faculty and administrators working to make Ithaca College forms and processes more efficient through technology, recently released a new online Change of Major Form, the first of many forms that the group is working to release by the end of the 2014–15 school year as a part of the Academic Workflow initiative.

The Change of Major Form, which is located on the Academic Workflow website, will let students change, add or delete their majors through an online form, which used to be a paper process that took days or weeks to complete. This will make the process easier for the student, the student’s new major or school, and the student’s old school and adviser, Nick Farthing, project manager for enterprise content management in Information Technology Services and member of the Academic Workflow Implementation Group at Ithaca College, said.

Depending on whether the student is changing a major, dropping a major or adding another major, the online form helps the people who need to approve the request get the student’s request and information quickly, Registrar Brian Scholten said.

The initiative has also taken up presence on social media outlets with students posting statuses about the project, Bryan Roberts, associate dean of the Roy H. Park School of Communications and member of the Academic Workflow Implementation Group, said.

The next form to come out will be the Student Disability Services Testing form. The group is two-thirds of the way done creating it, and it is set to go out around Spring 2015. Although the form will not have much traffic, Roberts said the people who it does bring in will greatly appreciate it.

Thirty additional forms are being drafted and plan to come out within the next few years. The group is working with students, faculty and staff to try and help make the process of forms and approval slips at the college easier, Farthing said.

$1375
$2000