$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Board of Trustees meets to approve FY24 budget and promotions

Ray Milburn
From left, David Lissy ’87, chair of the Board of Trustees, and James Nolan ’77, vice president of the board, meet with the campus community in Fall 2022. The Board of Trustees recently reconvened for its Spring 2023 meetings earlier in May.

The Ithaca College Board of Trustees held its spring meetings May 18–20 where members approved a $204.3 million operating expense budget for fiscal year 2023–24 and welcomed five new trustees. 

Information about the meetings was sent to the campus community via email and Intercom on May 25, signed by David H. Lissy ’87, chair of the Board of Trustees, and President La Jerne Cornish. 

Trustee elections

The new trustees that were elected for four-year terms include Nancy Daniels ’94, P’25, former chief brand officer of Discovery & Factual with the Discovery Channel; Michael DeVito ’86, chief executive officer of the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation; Rev. Carlos Perkins ’99, assistant research scientist and associate director of engagement in the Lilly Family School of Philanthropy at Indiana University; Paula Rooney P’17, retired president of 27 years at Dean College in Franklin, Massachusetts; and Monica Bertino Wooden ’81, co-founder and retired chief executive officer of MercuryGate International.

David Fleisher ’91, P’20 and Peter Taffae ’82 were re-elected for three-year terms. Following the end of their terms, Kathy Newlands ’89, Jan Singer ’86 and Kim Zeoli ’89 stepped down from their positions.

FY24 budget approval

Ithaca College’s $204.3 million FY24 operating expense budget accounts for an estimated 4,099 full-time undergraduate student body for the 2023–24 academic year. The budget includes $116.9 million for unfunded institutional financial aid, which does not include restricted financial aid, government funds or donations. Trustees approved $18.85 million in capital budget, including $6.4 million for future maintenance projects, $2.15 million for Information Technology upgrades and $4.65 million for campus improvements — some of which will go to refreshing Terraces residence halls.

The FY24 budget accommodates a 4% increase in total employee compensation and benefits, including a 3.5% budgeted base salary increase July 1. The distribution of the increase will be explained in upcoming communications. The Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association employer contribution match will increase from 7% to 7.5% and the required employee contribution to receive the employer contribution will remain at 3%. The email said the college is working to bring the employer contribution match back to 9% but this increase is meant to help employees with inflation. 

“The Board is sincerely grateful to our faculty and staff for your loyalty and dedication to the College and to our students and recognizes the importance of providing a competitive compensation package,” the announcement said.

Faculty promotions

The Board of Trustees approved nine faculty members for promotion or tenure. Julie Blumberg, associate professor in the Department of Media Arts, Sciences, and Studies, was the only faculty member to newly receive tenure. 

Andy Watts, associate professor in the Department of Media Arts, Sciences, and Studies; Jessica Valdez Taves, associate professor in the Department of Occupational Therapy; and Jill Mayer, associate professor in the Department of Physical Therapy, were promoted from assistant professor to associate professor. 

Annemarie Farrell, professor in the Department of Sport Management; Mary Ann Erickson, professor in the Department of Health Promotion and Physical Education; Shaianne Osterreich, professor in the Department of Economics; Alicia Swords, professor in the Department of Sociology; Marella Feltrin-Morris, professor in the Department of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures; and Eleanor Henderson, professor in the Department of Writing, were promoted from associate professor to professor. 

Plenary sessions

The board held several sessions to educate trustees about current issues at Ithaca College and in higher education. 

Chief Information Officer David Weil ’87, MS ’89 led a session on data, research and information that informs campus decisions and objectives. Weil was joined by representatives from the Offices of Information Technology, Analytics and Institutional Research, Business and Finance and the Center for Student Success and Retention. Topics covered included focused on data governance and security as well as how the college can use data and institutional metrics to strengthen future projects.

Dave Curry, director of the Center for Career Exploration and Development, led a session on the recent re-branding of the office and improvements to student and alumni services. Faculty and staff who have excelled at promoting student career exploration joined the conversation as well.

“Curry told trustees that the Center is looking forward to continuing to find ways to innovate its programming and build on faculty collaborations to better illustrate the importance of the career journey and the increasing value and focus on return-on-investment being placed on career outcomes as a part of higher education nationally and at Ithaca College,” the announcement said.

Tim Downs, vice president for Finance and Administration, led a session on how the board and the administration are responsible for risk management and presented some specific risks impacting the college. Downs was joined by representatives from the Office of Risk Management and the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management.

Laurie Koehler, vice president for Marketing and Enrollment Strategy, led a session about new Fall 2023 student enrollment metrics, efforts to increase student retention and enrollment opportunities for following years.

Celebrations

While on campus for the scheduled meetings, trustees recognized members of the college community for their contributions. 

A dedication ceremony was held May 17 where a classroom in the Hill Center was named after the late William A. Newlands ’50, a physical education graduate and student-athlete who became a high school teacher and coach. The contribution from the Newlands family established a generous endowment in athletics. 

A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held May 19 for the Alumni Circle Promenade — the new entryway to campus. The project was made possible by contributions from Trustee Peter Taffae ’82 and the Taffae Family Foundation.

Trustees also took part in the Campus Life Awards, Students of Color Awards, Commencement Eve Concert, graduate Hooding and Commencement Ceremony, and the undergraduate Commencement Ceremony

“We offer our congratulations to the Class of 2023—now our newest alumni—along with our hopes that staff and faculty will find opportunities for rest and rejuvenation over the summer months,” the announcement said.

$1495
$2000