$1275
$2000

College announces no public risk of communicable disease

Ithaca College has announced there is no public health risk associated with the illness that caused the death of a student.

Shannon Sakosits was a junior integrated marketing and communications major at the college. The college announced her death Nov. 11 from an unknown illness.

David Maley, senior associate director of media relations, told The Ithacan there is no public health risk related to her death.

“Results from the New York State Health Department laboratory have confirmed that the public is not at risk for any communicable disease related to the death of the Ithaca College student yesterday,” Maley said. “Therefore antibiotic treatment is not necessary for any individuals who were in close contact with the student.”

Maley extended condolences to her parents, family, friends and everyone she had been associated with at the college.

Maley said for privacy reasons, the college could not disclose any more information on her illness.

Friends and classmates are invited to gather together at 7 p.m. Nov. 12  in Muller Chapel to support one another, with assistance from counselors and chaplains.

$1275
$2000