August 11, 2022
Ithaca, NY | 78°F

News

College Briefs Feb. 3

Leadership retreat application due for freshman and sophomore class

The Student Leadership Institute is holding a Leadership Weekend Retreat for freshmen and sophomores Feb. 19. The program holds discussions on leadership, connects students with each other and can lead to further involvement within the college. Students will be able to build on their strengths and work to become a positive change agent on campus. Students who attend can earn three leading self credits in one day. The retreat is free and applications are due Feb. 11.

Facilities leader to retire in June after long career at Ithaca College

Tim Carey, associate vice president for the Office of Facilities, is retiring in June. Carey has worked for Ithaca College since March of 2014. He gave an advance notice of six months and will be able to assist in the process of finding someone to fill his position.

Student leader nominations open for exemplary upperclassmen

The Peggy Ryan Williams Award for Academic and Community Leadership nominations are open until 5 p.m. Feb. 11. The award recognizes student leaders with a junior or senior standing who excel in academics, are involved in co-curricular activities, perform service and have an exemplary level of accomplishment. Contact Jess Shapiro, assistant director of Office for Student Engagement, at jshapiro2@ithaca.edu.

IC HR to host retirement webinars to give employees assistance

The college had enhancements and changes made to the Ithaca College 403(b) Retirement plan in November 2021. The Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of American-College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA) and National Financial Partners Corp. are partnering with the college’s Office of Human Resources to host webinars regarding the change in the college’s retirement plans Feb. 9 and 15. For more information, faculty can visit TIAA.org/ithaca or call TIAA at 800-842-2252 from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays.

IT Service Desk schedule for spring available for campus community

The Information Technology (IT) Service Desk will be open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays to Thursdays and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays. IT is available for support via phone, chat, email or in person. Canvas support is available 24/7/365. Students can email IT at servicedesk@ithaca.edu or call at 607-274-1000.

Academic writing seats to be filled in several spring course sections

Seats have been added for WRTG 10600: Academic Writing in HomerConnect in several sections. Students with questions should contact the course’s instructor, Eleanor Henderson, associate professor and chair of the Department of Writing, at ehenderson@ithaca.edu.

ePortfolio requirement modified for students who are graduating

ICC has modified the ePortfolio graduation process to simplify the review process. In order for seniors to have their ePortfolio marked fulfilled this year, students only need two areas fully completed: the Complimentary Liberal Arts and Capstone. Students must submit the requirements to Taskstream and email them to icceportfolio@ithaca.edu.

RA applications now available to submit in advance of Fall 2022

Fall 2022 resident assistant applications will no longer be accepted after Feb. 14. Applications must include a resume and at least one reference. An information session will be held Feb. 11 virtually through Zoom. Students in need of accommodations can call 607-274-3141 or can send an email to raselection@ithaca.edu.

HLTH 31200 fulfills ICC credits and discusses health disparities

An interdisciplinary Health Ed Course, Inequalities in U.S. Healthcare (HLTH 31200), is looking for students to join. The goals of the course are to explore the historical, political, economic, social and cultural factors that drive health disparities. Students will use developmental theory and intersectionality for analysis. Yolanda Clarke, manager of Tutoring and Academic Enrichment Services, will be lecturing the course. The course meets from 5:25 to 8:05 p.m. on Thursdays. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations can contact Clarke at yclarke@ithaca.edu.

Al-Anon cancels meetings for the time being due to attendance

The South Hill Higher Ground Al-Anon Family Group, a 12-step recovery program, will be canceling meetings until further notice. The group’s purpose is to support people with loved ones who are suffering from addiction. The team made this decision due to time conflicts and lack of attendance on Zoom and in person. Interests in future meetings or questions can be emailed to southhillafg@gmail.com.

IC professor contributes chapter in book about German filmmaker

Patricia Zimmermann, Charles A. Dana Professor of Screen Studies and director of the Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival (FLEFF), co-authored essay “Ten Propositions” in “Labour in a Single Shot Critical Perspectives on Antje Ehmann and Harun Farocki’s Global Video Project” (Amsterdam University Press, 2021).