$1275
$2000

College Briefs Feb. 8

Sponsored Research to present sessions on acquiring grant funds

Sponsored Research will be presenting “Show Me the Money – Grants 101” from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Feb. 16 in the Taughannock Falls conference room on the third floor of the Campus Center. Lunch will be provided to the first 20 people registered. The event is an interactive session for faculty on transforming research ideas into fundable grants. Topics covered will include an overview of federal, state and private funding sources and grant procedures at the college, including budget development and compliance with financial accounting rules and demonstrations on how to search for grant funding
opportunities using database tools such as Foundation Center, SPIN and Grant Advisor.

The discussion will be lead by Jean Hardwick, professor in the School of Business, who will speak about her experience obtaining a three-year National Institutes of Health research grant. Hardwick will also talk about her efforts leading a team of faculty in submitting a recent grant proposal to the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Information sessions coming up for ICNYC and DC study programs

Information sessions are coming up for studying-away options in New York City and Washington D.C.

The semester-long ICNYC program is now open to select majors from all five schools. The program centers on a six-credit internship and at least six credits of coursework. ICNYC is designed to let students live and work in one of the largest cities in the world. The general information session with the ICNYC director is from 12:10 p.m. to 1 p.m. March 2 in Business 104.

There will also be school-based information sessions. School of Business majors will meet from 12:10 p.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 16 in Business 104, Roy H. Park School of Communication majors will meet at the same time and day in the Park Auditorium and School of Health Science and Human Performance majors will meet from 12:10 to 1 p.m. Feb. 23 in CHS 201. School of Humanities and Sciences majors will meet at the same time in Friends 208. Music major students have already been accepted for Fall 2017. Those still interested should contact David Pacun, associate dean of the School of Music, for questions.

For the D.C. option, Ithaca College has an arrangement with the Cornell in Washington program, which allows students to study full-time in Washington, D.C., and take advantage of the internship opportunities the city offers. The general information session for all students will be at 4:45 p.m. March 2 in Job 209.

New on-campus discussion group to focus on Muslim student issues

A new discussion group will hold a meeting from 12:10 to 1 p.m. Feb. 9 in the Fireside Lounge in Muller Chapel. The group will discuss issues related to life as a Muslim student on a secular campus.

At the meeting, students will be able to learn about resources available to Muslims on campus and around the City of Ithaca.  There will be free food.  All are welcome.

Environmental studies faculty to host program on local wildlife Environmental studies and sciences instructors Jason Hamilton and Jed Jordan will offer a weekend intensive course through the program Primitive Pursuits on Feb. 11 and 12.

Participants will learn how to identify the tracks and trails of local wildlife. According to an Intercom post, in the last few years, several keystone mammal species, such as bobcat, fisher, river otter and black bear, have been witnessed during the program. Students can register or get more information at http://primitivepursuits.com/wilderness-weekends/winter-tracking-intensive.

Appointments now available for Red Cross blood drive at IC

A Red Cross blood drive will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 16 at the college. Three appointments will be taken every hour and two every half hour. To save time, organizers recommend making an appointment using RapidPass the day of the drive. Go to Redcrossblood.org/rapidpass to make an appointment, or email [email protected] or call 1-800-REDCROSS to schedule an appointment. Double Red Donations will be also be collected.

Date announced for 27th annual IC Educational Technology Day

The 27th annual Educational Technology Day at Ithaca College will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 23 in the Campus Center.

Educational Technology Day is sponsored by Digital Instruction and Information Services to bring information about the latest
educational technology to the campus and the surrounding upstate New York area.

The event includes over 50 national and regional technology vendors, vendor seminars, a college showcase, a Teaching and Learning with Technology Symposium and sessions with national thought leaders on topics including makerspaces, technology outlook for education, women in information technology, and teaching and learning with technology.

$1275
$2000