$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs Sept. 1

Nolan Saunders
Jazz musician Emmet Cohen, of the Emmet Cohen Trio, laughs after playing a piece during his performance in Ford Hall in the James J. Whalen Center for Music. Cohen was accompanied by Kyle Poole and Yasushi Nakamura.

IC Unbound to hold auditions for students interested in dance

The IC Unbound Dance Company will be holding auditions at 7 p.m. Sept. 4 in the college’s Fitness Center for Fall 2022. IC Unbound is a student-led dance company that typically focuses on jazz, contemporary, tap and hip-hop dance styles. Students participating in auditions are able to decide what dances they would like to audition for out of a selection created by the group’s choreographers as well as how many hours, between one and five hours per week, that they want to dance. The choreographers will choose who they want to participate in their own dances and participants will be notified the same night as auditions which dances they were selected to participate in. IC Unbound members will be asked to participate in weekly dance classes, three Sunday evening rehearsals and showcases, as well as optional bonding events and promotional photoshoots. Individuals looking for updates or information should visit @icunbound on social media. Those requiring accommodations should contact IC Unbound at [email protected] or 832-671-6134.

Ukrainian journalist to give talk on Zoom about coverage of war

The Park Center for Independent Media and the Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival will be hosting a discussion on the media coverage of the war in Ukraine at 7 p.m. Sept. 7 on Zoom. The conversation will feature Natalie Gryvnyak, a Ukranian journalist, Masha Shpolberg, assistant professor in the department of Film and Electronic Arts at Bard College, and Zenon Wasyliw, professor in the Department of History at Ithaca College. Raza Rumi, director for the Park Center for Independent Media and professor in the Department of Journalism at the college, will moderate the event. Speakers will discuss on-the-ground reporting of the war in both independent and mainstream media, Eastern-European history and film production. The event will also include an opportunity for attendees to ask questions. Individuals who would like to attend should register for the event; a link for registering can be found on Ithaca College Intercom.

IC Jazz Ensemble to host event for children to learn about jazz

The Ithaca College Jazz Ensemble will be hosting a free concert at 10 a.m. Sept. 10 for children to learn about jazz music. The event will take place in Ford Hall in the James J. Whalen Center for Music and will also be livestreamed and available on recording in the days following the event.

Title IX Office taking volunteers for the Conduct Review Board

The college is looking for volunteers interested in serving as college trained advisers or board members for cases of sexual misconduct. Advisers support Title IX complainants and respondents throughout the investigative and student conduct processes for Title IX violations by providing information and support for students. Board members will serve on the Conduct Review Board, reviewing all information presented during investigations and hearings for Title IX violations and will be responsible for making a decision based on the evidence provided. Volunteers will be asked to do training in person and online. This training will have an independent portion to be completed by Sept. 13 and a skill building workshop. The workshop will be held virtually from 1 to 2:30 p.m. and in person from 3 to 4:30 p.m. Sept. 14. Individuals who are interested, have questions or require accommodations should contact Leonardo Wise, Title IX investigator and prevention specialist, at lwise@ ithaca.edu by Sept. 9 or as soon as possible for those requesting accommodations.

College seeks workgroup staff focused on health and wellness

The Center for Counseling, Health and Wellness is looking for students, faculty and staff to join workgroups and committees focused on health and wellness for the 2022–23 academic year. There are three committees available: the Alcohol and Other Substance Prevention Team (AOD Team), the JED Campus Coalition and the Wellness Leadership Council. The AOD Team intends to improve the health of college students by decreasing substance use on campus. This year the team will focus on reviewing and updating policies and procedures, work on prevention strategies, provide recovery support and implement drug take-back events on campus. The JED Campus Coalition works with the national JED Foundation to improve mental wellness and suicide prevention. The team will have four subcommittees this year focused on communications, training, mental health awareness events and student connections. Finally, the wellness leadership council focuses on improving the overall well-being of the campus community. The council will focus on communication and introducing wellness in classrooms. For each group there is a different commitment. The AOD Team requires four to six hours of work per month, including biweekly meetings for one hour and one to two hours of outside work. AOD Team meetings will be every other Friday from 10 to 11 a.m. beginning Sept. 2. The JED Campus Coalition requires one to three hours of work per week, including biweekly subcommittee meetings and two full-team meetings per semester. The JED team will host its first meeting from 9 to 11 a.m. Sept. 14. The Wellness Leadership Team requires one to three hours of time per week including weekly workgroup meetings and monthly full-team meetings and one to two hours of outside work.

$1495
$2000