$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs Sept. 22

Park Tank accepting submissions of new media ideas until Sept. 23

Students interested in pitching a new media idea for the Roy H. Park School of Communication’s annual Park Tank event have until Sept. 23 to submit their pitches to [email protected].

This year’s Park Tank will take place from 4 to 6 p.m. Oct. 7 in Roy H. Park Hall. Students will have three or four minutes to pitch their ideas to a panel of alumni judges during a live show with audience voters. The winner will be awarded $500, second place will win $300, and the third- prize winner and the audience favorite will each receive $100.

Pitches can include ideas for a new television show, an online business, journalism applications, a film concept, an event, a visual art exhibition, a marketing idea or a new product.

Retired professor dies at age 78 after serving college for 34 years

Robert Jenkins, retired professor in the Department of Biology, died Sept. 14 at the age of 78. Jenkins taught at Ithaca College for 34 years before retiring in 2000. During his time at the college, he began the Campus Crusade for Christ, a community on campus created to connect people to Jesus Christ. His family asks that instead of giving flowers, those wishing to commemorate Jenkins’ memory help a friend.

Multicultural awards event to host IC alumnus as keynote speaker

The Multicultural Academic Awards Banquet will be held at 5:30 p.m. Sept. 24 in Emerson Suites and will feature alumnus Ellis Williams ’13 as a keynote speaker. Williams works as an associate producer with the Bleacher Report, a digital media company based in San Francisco, California, that covers sports around the world.

Students who will be receiving an award are asked to arrive at 5 p.m. to check in and be seated. Business professional attire is encouraged.

The banquet was originally scheduled to take place Sept. 10, but to accommodate students who traveled to Brooklyn, New York, for the funeral services of sophomore Anthony Nazaire, who died in a stabbing incident Aug. 28, the ceremony was postponed.

Park department chair receives award at Minneapolis conference

Scott Hamula, chair of and associate professor in the Department of Strategic Communication, received the Outstanding Service Award from the Advertising Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication at this year’s AEJMC conference Aug. 4–7 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Since joining AEMJC and its Advertising Division in 2006, Hamula has served on the division executive committee as secretary, chair of teaching and student research papers, and events and social coordinator. He has organized and hosted conference off-site visits for Advertising Division faculty members to learn from professionals at advertising agencies and marketers, including Carmichael Lynch and Target headquarters, Energy BBDO, AKQA, Rodgers Townsend, Marketel and the Ad Council.

“Coming to this conference and attending these off-sites is a way for faculty to invest in their students’ futures and add value to their classrooms,” Hamula said. “It has been my pleasure to organize these teaching resource opportunities. I am humbled by and thankful for receiving this award.”

IC professor of music to perform at biweekly event in Trumansburg

Mike Titlebaum, associate professor in the Department of Performance Studies, will perform alongside other musicians in a biweekly event called Music Because Music, beginning at 6 p.m. Sept. 24 and continuing every other Saturday through Nov. 4 at the Rongovian Embassy in Trumansburg, New York.

The other musicians who will perform with Titlebaum include his friends and colleagues, as well as Ithaca College alumni and students, such as senior trumpet player Alexander Miller; senior instrumental major Daniel Wenger; senior double bassist Kevin Thompson; Matt Clauhs, assistant professor in the music education department; Greg Evans, assistant professor in the music performance department; Nick Weiser, lecturer in the music performance department; and double bassist Alex Toth ’16.

$1495
$2000