$1275
$2000

College to offer monkeypox vaccine at Hammond Health Center

Amanda den Hartog/The Ithacan

Ithaca College will be offering monkeypox vaccines in the Hammond Health Center for all interested students beginning Oct. 31, according to an email sent to the campus community Oct. 25.

According to the email, sent by Bonnie Prunty, vice president for Student Affairs and Campus Life; Jennifer Metzgar, medical director for Student Health Services; and Luca Maurer, executive director for Student Equity and Belonging and director of LGBTQ Education, Outreach & Services; the vaccine itself is free of charge. However, students will be billed for an administration fee through their health insurance provider; most insurance plans cover the administration cost. 

“This cost will be listed as an ‘immunization administration’ on your health insurance account, but will not specify the type of immunization you received,” the email stated.

Although there is no requirement to get the vaccine and any students can schedule an appointment, students at high risk for contracting the virus are strongly encouraged to receive the vaccine. Students who are interested in receiving the vaccine must call the Health Center at 607-274-3177 to schedule an appointment. 

The Health Center will be offering the JYNNEOS vaccine, which is the primary vaccine being used in the U.S. and is U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)approved for the prevention of smallpox and monkeypox. The vaccine is a two-dose series, with the doses given over a 28- to 35-day period of time. 

Individuals who get the vaccine are not considered fully protected until 14 days after receiving their second dose. Individuals who have recently received or are planning to get the COVID-19 vaccine should wait at least 30 days between getting the COVID-19 vaccine and the monkeypox vaccine. 

As of Oct. 26, there have been three reported cases of monkeypox in Tompkins County, with the latest being reported Aug. 9.

$1275
$2000