$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Incumbent for state Senate seat ahead in unofficial primary results

According to unofficial results, incumbent Sen. James Seward has beaten competing candidate James Blake in the Republican primary for New York state senator of the 51st district.

The voting took place in the towns of Caroline, Danby, Dryden and Groton. Polls were open from noon to 9 p.m. Thursday.

Stephen DeWitt, commissioner of the board of elections, said there are more than 5,600 registered Republicans in the four towns. He said he expected at least 500 voters to show up Thursday night.

“We won’t know until all the votes are in, but I would say probably 10 percent would be a good, round number,” DeWitt said.

The unofficial results showed Seward received 507 votes, about 80 percent of the votes. The total turnout came up to 632 ballots, with Blake receiving 125 votes.

Seward has held a state senate seat since 1986. He has delegated in the 1976, 1980 and 1988 Republican National Conventions.

The newcomer Blake formerly served as campaign chairman for a state representative candidate in Georgia. He also served as the 6th District Rules committee chairman in Atlanta, Ga.

Voting, which normally takes place on Tuesdays, was delayed until Thursday to avoid conflicts with Sept. 11 memorial events.

$1495
$2000