$1275
$2000

Ithaca College London Center announces new program director

Courtesy of Meghan Callahan
Meghan Callahan, art historian and experienced study-abroad professional, will be the new director for Ithaca College London Center starting April 18.

The search for a new director for the Ithaca College London Center (ICLC) has concluded after several leadership changes in recent years.

On March 1 the college announced through Intercom that Meghan Callahan, art historian and experienced studyabroad professional, will be the new director for ICLC starting April 18. The search first began in November 2021 while Catherine Weidner, chair of the Department of Theatre Arts, served as interim director for the 2021–22 academic year. Callahan plans to work with Weidner up until summer 2022 so Callahan can become more familiar with the program. 

Weidner became the interim director after former director, Thorunn Lonsdale, retired in October 2020 and then died in November 2021. 

Since becoming established in 1972, the ICLC has offered classes, internships and other academic opportunities to the college’s students while they are immersed in British culture. From March 2020 until Fall 2021 the ICLC was not open to students because of the COVID-19 pandemic. In Fall 2021, ICLC cautiously reopened and students have been in London throughout the 2021–22 academic year. 

Callahan is leaving the Syracuse University London Program to join ICLC. From 2014–16, Callahan worked at the Cornell Brown Penn UK program and in 2016 began at the Syracuse University London program. She spent her time at Syracuse University developing curriculum, managing faculty positions, instructing faculty in online learning techniques, evaluating teaching, and supporting students in London. Callahan has also taught courses like Makers and Markets: Italian Art in Britain and Women and Art: London and the UK. 

She served as a non-voting member for the Executive Board of the Association of American Study Abroad Programmes/UK where she helped to improve access and support for LGBTQ+, first-generation, minority and disabled students who study abroad.

In Ithaca College’s announcement, Rachel Gould, director of study abroad in the Office of International Programs and Extended Studies, introduced and welcomed Callahan to the college community.

“Please join us in giving Dr. Callahan a warm welcome to the Ithaca College London Center, and to the Ithaca College community,” the announcement said. “We look forward to working with her, and are excited to see the contributions she will make to the ICLC.”

From 2009–10, Callahan was a lecturer at the Workers’ Educational Association in London. It was there she taught a course called “Avant-garde Art in Europe and America, 1895-1945.” In Spring 2013, she covered for a professor during their maternity leave as an associate lecturer at Birkbeck College, University of London, where she co-taught “Art and Architecture in Europe 1250-1400.” alongside another lecturer.

$1275
$2000