$1275
$2000

ITHACA TODAY: Monday, Nov. 4

Top news of the day

The stories you should check out

1. Tickets for the Cortaca Jug football game on Nov. 16 at Butterfield Stadium are no longer available because of the overwhelming response by Ithaca College students, faculty and staff. The entire allocation of tickets has been claimed. However, alumni ticket purchasing information is available on the alumni website.

2. Fundraising for the 2013 Ithaca Walk to End Alzheimer’s ended Oct. 31, and the Ithaca College Gerontology Institute team raised the most money in the senior care category, totalling $1,353. The community raised almost $350,000 for Alzheimer’s research and support services in central New York.

3. Nominations are currently being accepted for the 2013–14 Peggy R. Williams award for Academic and Community Leadership. Nominations are due by 5 p.m. on Nov. 15. The award recognizes outstanding juniors and seniors for their academic service and community service to the Ithaca community. Any faculty member, staff member or student can nominate a junior or senior for the 2013–14 award.

What’s happening today

The events you won’t want to miss

1. Ithaca College’s Public and Community Health Student Association is hosting “A Night with Frank Kruppa” at 6 p.m. in Textor 102. Kruppa is the public health director of Tompkins County’s Public Health Department and will be discussing his education, career path and how he addresses health challenges in the county.

2. The Ithaca College Buddhist Community is holding a panel discussion about women in Buddhism at 7 p.m. in Friends Hall, room 309. The panel will discuss the perception of women during the Buddha’s time and what life is like for Buddhist women in the 21st Century.

3. There will be a James J. Whalen Center faculty showcase at 7 p.m. in the Hockett Family Recital Hall. The performance, called “Forces of Nature,” will feature 12 faculty members from the music school.

This Week in Ithaca College History

What was The Ithacan reporting 10 years ago?

During the week of Nov. 6, 2003, The Ithacan ran a front-page article titled “ResNet Revolt.” Students were frustrated by the slow speed of ResNet — a problem that students and faculty say still persists today. In 2003, an outbreak of computer viruses caused ResNet’s slow speed and increasing problems, so the college planned to overhaul the system to allow Information Technology Services to contain the spread of viruses. At the time this story was published, a student petition asking for better Internet connections on campus had received 414 signatures. Ten years later, the campus still faces problems with slow speed Internet, and the college is currently considering switching wireless providers.

$1275
$2000