$1275
$2000

ITHACA TODAY Tuesday, Oct. 15

Top news of the day

The stories you should check out

1. Daniel Hosang, professor of ethnic studies at Oregon University, spoke yesterday as part of the Discussion Series sponsored by the Center for the Study of Culture, Race and Ethnicity. His discussion was titled “Repoliticizing Racial Justice in the Age of Obama.” Check Latest Headlines later today for the full story.

2. Moosewood Restaurant recently celebrated its 40th anniversary. Since its opening in 1973, the restaurant has become a paradise for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike with its selection of vegetarian meals and its 13 different cookbooks.

3. The government shutdown has left many Cornell University researchers scrambling to fund their projects. The university currently receives about $500 million in federal funding. During the shutdown, there is a hold on all new proposals and projects that require a grant from the government. Current spending has not been stopped, so the university can continue to spend money on medical research, but it cannot ask the government for a refund when the shutdown ends.

What’s happening today

The events you won’t want to miss

1. IC Macabre Theatre’s production “Spurt of Blood” will be performed at 6 p.m. in Williams 225.

2. The IC Culinary Arts Club will hold its annual fall bake sale from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Campus Center. Menu items include pumpkin cupcakes, apple turnovers, apple pie and Oreo balls.

3. IC Stand Up is presenting a comedy show at 8 p.m. in IC Square.

This Week in Ithaca College History

What was The Ithacan reporting 20 years ago?

During the week of Oct. 21, 1993, The Ithacan ran a front page article about a system of free shuttle rides for tipsy students. Then-mayoral candidate Beverly Baker was behind the program and instrumental in developing it. According to the article, students who frequented downtown bars would be given free bus tokens when they exited the bar. The arrangement was exclusively for Ithaca College students, and students had to show school identification to receive a token.

$1275
$2000