$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Nation and World News March 30

Stefano Rellandini/AFP via Getty Images TNS
About 1.09 million protesters took part in demonstrations in France on March 23 against President Emmanuel Macron’s pension reform, the interior ministry said, with 119,000 marching in Paris alone.

At least four people are dead in PA after factory explosion

A massive explosion at the RM Palmer chocolate factory in West Reading on March 24 has resulted in multiple deaths and injuries, with others still unaccounted for. The cause of the blast is under investigation, according to Wayne Holben, West Reading police chief. Four people have died and another three people believed to be inside the plant at the time of the blast remain unaccounted for, as of Sunday morning. A third body was pulled from the rubble March 25, and a fourth victim was found early March 26.

Honduras ends relations with Taiwan after turning to China

Honduras has decided to sever relations with Taiwan, the Foreign Ministry said March 25, announcing an all but expected move that follows the Central American country’s decision to establish diplomatic ties with China. President Xiomara Castro had given instructions to notify Taiwan of the decision to sever diplomatic relations between the two countries, the ministry said in a statement.

Putin says Russia will place tactical nuclear arms in Belarus

President Vladimir Putin said Russia is preparing to station tactical nuclear weapons in neighboring Belarus, escalating a confrontation with the U.S. and its allies over the war in Ukraine. Moscow is not handing control of the weapons to Belarus and won’t be in breach of its nonproliferation obligations under an agreement with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, Putin said in comments broadcast on state television March 25.

McConnell ends treatment and continues working from home

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell was discharged from a rehabilitation center March 25 after treatment for injuries suffered in a fall and said he will still work from home for “the next few days.”

Cuba holds National Parliament election amid population exodus

Cuba held elections March 26 to pick lawmakers at a time when the ruling communist party is struggling to keep a lid on public anger caused by rampant inflation, hunger and blackouts. The vote, decried as a sham by human rights groups, picked 470 candidates who were pre-selected by the government to the powerful National Parliament for a five-year term. The system has allowed the Communist Party to control the parliament since its inception in 1976.

Death toll in Mississippi tornado rises as more storms forecast

The death toll after the devastating tornado on Friday in the Southern U.S. has risen to at least 26, with 25 in the nation’s poorest state of Mississippi alone, civil protection authorities said March 26. Dozens were injured, while at least one person died in neighboring Alabama, according to media reports. The weather service warned of further violent storms. Initial reports put the death toll at least 23.

$1495
$2000