$1275
$2000

UPDATE: Buildings reopen after power outage

A+worker+outside+Phillips+Hall+labors+in+a+man-hole.++There+is+no+power+in+multiple+buildings+across+the+Ithaca+College+campus.++
Evan Sobkowicz/ The Ithacan
A worker outside Phillips Hall labors in a man-hole. There is no power in multiple buildings across the Ithaca College campus.

Due to an electrical cable failure, multiple Ithaca College buildings are without power and have closed including Williams Hall; Muller Chapel; the entire Campus Center; Gannett Center, including the library; and the James J. Whalen Center for Music.

All activities and classes in those buildings have been cancelled until the buildings reopen.  The buildings are closed until at least noon, according to the Ithaca College Emergency Notification System.

The email sent out of by the college also said, “staff and faculty who work in those buildings may work elsewhere on campus or remotely, if possible. Once those buildings reopen, staff and faculty are expected to return to their workplace and classes will resume.”

The Gannet Center and the Whalen Center may be reopened by noon.

Phillips Hall, including the bookstore; the Phillips Hall Mailroom; and Mac’s General Store are all closed as well.

Update 11:32 a.m.:  The Ithaca College Emergency Notification System sent out an email announcing the Whalen Center; Gannett Center, including the library; Williams Hall; Muller Chapel; and the entire Campus Center—Egbert Hall, Phillips Hall, and the Phillips Hall Annex—will remain closed until at least 5 p.m.

Update 1:45 p.m.:  Dave Maley, senior associate director for media and community relations at the college said one of the main electrical cables that supplies to multiple buildings has failed.  Maley said the cable probably failed due to old age.  Contractors from the O’Connell Electric Company are currently working to restore power to the buildings.

Maley was unsure how old the electrical cable was.

Update 4:13 p.m.: The power in the buildings effected by the power outage has yet to be restored. All classes and activities in those buildings for the remainder of the day are cancelled and the buildings remain closed.

If power is restored later this evening to the Campus Center, library and Whalen Center, those buildings will reopen.

Update 9:10 p.m.: The buildings remain closed.

Update 9:50 p.m.: All Ithaca College buildings plan to be open for classes and activities March 5.  Campus Center Dining Hall will not be open for breakfast.  The library will reopen at 7:30 a.m.

Update 10:30 a.m.: All Ithaca College buildings have reopened.  Campus Center Dining Hall will reopen at 11:00 a.m.

power-outage-3

power-outage-2

power-outage-4
A worker tends to an electric box outside Williams Hall. Evan Sobkowicz/ The Ithacan

$1275
$2000