$1275
$2000

SGA elections fill six seats and leave five open

The Fall 2012 Student Government Association elections ended Saturday, with six students elected into the student government and five positions left unfilled.

Freshmen Elijah Breton, Attila Mendli, Dominick Recckio and Sean Themea, were elected as the class of 2016 senators, Monique Peterkin as the class of 2013 senator and Katelyn Madison as the transfer student senator. Courtney Brown, vice president of communications for SGA, said 245 students voted in total.

SGA President Rob Flaherty said 373 students opened the ballot, but only 245 had candidates to vote on, which depended on their grade and academic school. There were 186 freshmen, 45 seniors and 14 transfer students that voted.

“[Voter turnout] was lower than usual,” Flaherty said. “It was lower than expected. But it is not super surprising. The best way to boost voter turnout is to have a highly contested election.”

Freshman Sean Themea, who was elected a class of 2016 senator, said he was disappointed by the low student involvement.

“I believe that our class should know who they are voting for, what they are voting for and take the initiative to vote, because we are representing them,” Themea said.

Dominick Recckio, another class of 2016 senator, said he is looking forward to taking on his new position.

“I’m really excited to start working with Attila, Elijah and Sean,”  Recckio said. “We’re definitely going to get the freshmen’s voice out. I will send information to all freshmen about the first freshman advisory board meeting.”

Flaherty said there was limited competition in this election because of a smaller number of candidates. There are five positions in the Senate that were not filled during this election, which include officials for the classes of 2013 and 2014, as well as a School of Health Science and Human Performance and a graduate liaison.

“We have openings still, in 2013 and 2014. We’re working very hard to make sure those are filled,” Flaherty said.

Correction: An earlier version of this article reported there were six positions in SGA left open, there are only five.

$1275
$2000