$1275
$2000

Editorial: Students must continue to address problems

Allison Latini

Student protesters — known as THE General Body — at Syracuse University ended their 18-day-long sit-in in an administration building Nov. 20. Although the results are not immediate, the University Senate said it will listen to students’ demands, proving that their efforts and voices will not go unnoticed or unheard.

According to a meeting agenda on its website, the Syracuse University Senate — the university’s academic governing board consisting of elected faculty, staff, students and administration members  — will consider two different resolutions regarding THE General Body’s demands Dec. 3.

In a recent news article in The Ithacan comparing Ithaca College and Syracuse University, it is evident that services and conditions at the college are not as dire as they are at Syracuse University. Students at Syracuse University have protested the closing of their Advocacy Center, a lack of mental health services and the defunding of the minority scholarship program, POSSE.

Ithaca College students are fortunate to have services and programs such as SHARE for sexual assault victims, the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services and the Martin Luther King Scholar Program and the African, Latino, Asian and Native American community for minority students.

At Syracuse University, the buildup of various program and service cuts boiled over and led to THE General Body’s sit-in. To avoid a similar situation, students at Ithaca College must continue to address problems immediately to provide enough time to converse and negotiate with administrators.

$1275
$2000