$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Field hockey: Bombers drop first game on new turf field

The field hockey team lost 5­–2 to The College of Wooster in a non-conference game Monday.

“Today was a tough loss,” senior forward Katie Brown said. “All of the teams that we’ve faced in the past and our upcoming games are games we should be winning. Games we have opportunities to win.”

This was the first game played on Higgins Field, which is the new turf field located behind the Athletics and Events Center.

“It’s fun to play on [the turf],” freshman midfielder Emily Lash said. “It really is a different game on the turf than on grass.”

Sophomore forward Tracy Rivas scored the Bombers’ first goal near the right post and freshman midfielder Katie Kennedy had the assist.

“Connecting is easier on the turf,” Rivas said. “It’s definitely easier to keep the ball on the ground.”

Wooster’s first goal came when senior forward Amanda Artman passed to freshman forward Nikki Server.

The Scots scored their second goal on a corner. Artman deflected the ball into the goal and senior midfielder Stephanie Standera was credited with the assist.

In the second half, Wooster scored three more goals.

Senior midfielder Kate Valora carried the ball in from the right side of the circle and took the shot for the Scots’ third goal.

The fourth goal was scored by sophomore forward Claire Nelson-Johnson and assisted by senior forward Elieen Barrer.

Barrer scored the final Wooster goal off of a rebound.

Lash scored the Bombers second goal off a corner. Freshman forward Sam English passed the ball into the circle and Lash tipped the ball past the goalie.

Wooster outshot the Blue and Gold 23–16. The Bombers had the advantage in penalty corners.

Sophomore goalie Kelly Singleton made 10 saves and allowed five goals. Sophomore goalie Samantha Grassi played the end of the second half and made two saves.

“We need to connect to win our next two Empire 8 games to make it to the championship,” Brown said, “We have our moments we just need to make it into seventy minutes.”

The Bombers control their own destiny as the push toward the playoffs. The team has two Empire 8 games left on their schedule this season.

The Blue and Gold return to action against Washington and Jefferson College on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Higgins Field.  This is the last regular season home game for the Bombers.

$1375
$2000