$1260
$2000

$1260
$2000

Golf team places second at Martin-Wallace Invitational

The Ithaca College women’s golf team placed second out of seven teams with 634 points in the Martin-Wallace Invitational Sept. 24 and 25 in Cortland, New York. Methodist University placed first with 627 points.  

The Blue and Gold kicked off the tournament in strong fashion on Sept. 24 with four players finishing in the top ten and leading the team to first place with a score of 314. However, the team took a step back the second day of play, adding six strokes to their team score as their lead slipped away.

Junior Indiana Jones led the charge for the Bombers. The recent Empire 8 Player of the Week battled through wrist pain caused by a lingering injury to post a score of 150, the best on the team.

Head coach Molly Braid said despite Jones’s injury, she played an exceptional match.

“She did a great job of getting up and down and mixing in a handful of birdies along the way,” Braid said.   

Jones said she was proud of the way the team played. However, she said the team still has room for improvements.

“Playing one shot at a time and focusing on the shot at hand is very important,” Jones said.

Following Jones was senior Kimberly Wong who posted a total score of 158 and shaved two strokes off of her score from the first round.  

Wong said that the tougher scoring conditions on the second day of the tournament played a role in the team’s step back.

Junior Kyra Denish and freshman Peyton Greco each maintained consistency throughout the tournament. Denish shot for 79 and 82 while Greco shot for 83 and 82.

Senior Mary Rooker rounded out the scoring for the Bombers shooting 187.  Rooker saw dramatic improvement from her first day of the tournament as she went from 98 to 89 on the second day of play.  

Braid said overall the Bombers had a successful tournament.

“They did a great job playing the Cortland Country Club,” she said. “They stuck to the game plan and played strategic golf.  It was their second time this fall going into day two with the lead and I believe they will take a lot away from that and be ready for the next tournament.”     

The Bombers will look to continue their great start to the season Oct.1 and 2 when they host the Empire 8 Championship at the Country Club of Ithaca.

$1260
$2000