$1275
$2000

Ithaca College field hockey team defeats Golden Eagles 2–0

PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY CONNOR LANGE

As the season winds to a close, the Ithaca College field hockey team returned to action one more time for its second to last regular season contest against the Golden Eagles of SUNY Brockport on Oct. 25. The Bombers defeated the Golden Eagles 2–0.

The Bombers, who entered the game tied for fourth in the Empire 8 Standings, needed this win to help keep their playoff hopes alive. The top four teams in the Empire 8 advance to the Empire 8 Championships.

Brockport got three early chances to score off of three penalty corner opportunities, but two of the shots squeaked wide of the cage and the third was cleared away from the scoring arc.

With about five and a half minutes remaining in the opening period, the Bombers responded with four penalty corners of their own, but a combination of narrowly missed passes and strong defense from Brockport kept the game scoreless.

The first half would end with one final opportunity for the Golden Eagles to take the lead, but senior goalie Katie Lass stood tall in net for the Bombers, tipping aside a shot destined for the bottom right of the net. It was the fifth time this season the Bombers have played in a game that was scoreless at the break. In those games, the Bombers held a record of 3–1.

The second half began much like the first. Through the first 10 minutes of the period, the teams traded near misses with Lass and Brockport sophomore goalie Sarah Beam.

With just under five minutes remaining in the game, sophomore midfielder and back Maddy Ryan had with a perfectly timed entry pass on a penalty corner. After a deflection from senior forward Colleen Keegan-Twombly,  junior forward Michaela Donohue pounced on the loose ball and fired home her fifth goal of the season to give the Bombers a 1–0 lead. Minutes later, Donohue would tally again, off another assist from Keegan-Twombly, making it 2–0 Bombers and forcing Brockport to use its final timeout.

The Golden Eagles were unable to find the back of the net after the timeout. The Bombers went on to win their second straight game and seventh of the season.

The Bombers take on Elmira College for their final regular season contest at 1 p.m. Oct. 29 in Elmira, New York.

$1275
$2000