$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Women’s basketball slips past Skidmore in Senior Day win

NOLAN SAUNDERS
From left, Bombers senior guard Camryn Coffey drives past Thoroughbreds sophomore guard Sarah Chambers.

The Ithaca College women’s basketball team defeated the Skidmore College Thoroughbreds 52–49 on Senior Day Feb. 4 in the Ben Light Gymnasium. 

The Bombers were led by graduate student forward Lindsey Albertelli who had an impressive showing, putting up 21 points and three blocks while shooting 56% from the field. Senior forward Emily Dorn added four points, eight rebounds and was a force on the defensive end, finishing with five blocks. 

The Thoroughbreds were led by junior forward Julia Blanck who had nine points, 12 rebounds and added five blocks. Sophomore guard Andi Levitz put up 10 points and one assist, while sophomore guard Becca Horger added eight points.

The Bombers opened the game with the hot hand. Senior guard Natalie Smith pulled up from 3-point range and drained it to give the Bombers the opening score and a 3–0 lead 22 seconds into the game.

With 4:44 remaining in the first quarter, graduate student guard Cara Volpe fired the ball into the post, where she found Albertelli for the finish and gave the Bombers a 10–5 lead.

Both the Bombers and Thoroughbreds played great defense through the back half of the first quarter, and the quarter ended with the Bombers maintaining a 12–8 lead.

The Thoroughbreds allowed the Bombers a few points, but never let them out of their reach. With 8:45 remaining in the second quarter, Levitz hoisted up a deep 3-point shot and put it home to bring the Bombers’ lead to 16–13.

Albertelli was not only a scorer in the game, but was a weapon on the defensive end. With 6:16 remaining in the second quarter, Albertelli sent Levitz’s corner 3-point attempt into the stands.

Albertelli proceeded to have another great play on the offensive end with 1:54 left in the first half. Albertelli pump faked a defender and drove to the basket to finish a layup that gave the Bombers a 23–18 lead. 

The Thoroughbreds had possession of the ball with 10 seconds remaining in the first half when first-year student guard Melissa Severino took advantage, hitting a 3-pointer from the left arch to even up the score 23–23 and close out the half. 

The Bombers and Thoroughbreds maintained a close score for the majority of the third quarter, but the Thoroughbreds broke through for their first lead late in the quarter. With 3:21 remaining in the third Blanck was fouled and hit her two free throws to give the thoroughbreds a 32-30 lead. Blanck proceeded to make the score 35–30 when she hit a 2-point jumper with 39 seconds remaining in the quarter.

The Bombers entered the final quarter down 35–31, but the Thoroughbreds would not keep them down for long.

With 5:34 remaining in the game, sophomore forward Annabella Yorio absorbed contact and put home a tough layup while being fouled. This gave the Bombers a 41–39 lead.

The Bombers and Thoroughbreds traded the lead two more times and the Bombers looked to close it out. The Bombers led 51–46 with four seconds remaining after junior guard Hannah Polce finished a layup. 

Levitz gave the Bombers a scare when she hit a miraculous 3-pointer from the corner with a second remaining to narrow the Bombers’ lead to 51–49, but a Smith free throw secured the Bombers’ 52–49 victory.

Dorn said that she was ecstatic about the win and knew that her team was one step closer to bringing postseason play home to the Ben Light Gymnasium.

“It was huge,” Dorn said. “That game meant that we can host the Liberty League Championship if we continue to win out this season, so it was good.”

With it being Senior Day, Dorn expressed how memorable her years playing for the Bombers have been.

“It’s been amazing,” Dorn said. “Just such a great, cohesive group and it’s just been fun to play with everyone.”

The Bombers improved their record to 18–2 and 13–0 in the Liberty League. They will next play the Rochester Institute of Technology Tigers at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 7 in the Ben Light Gymnasium.

$1375
$2000