•  

September 20, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

Night crawlers

By | Apr 3, 2009

Weekday routines can blur into a stale monotony. What mark many of our college experiences are the weekends and how we spend them. This is the first in a series of narrative accounts that capture pieces of the social scene in Ithaca. In this snapshot, Senior Writer Erica R.Hendry follows a crowd to 2nd Floor…

Jazz man

By | Apr 24, 2008

He’s coaching her above the groove of a steady bass line, watching as her fingers struggle to hit the changing chords he calls out to her. “A flat. Now C. Now E flat,” he says, until she hits her stride. With a smile, Steve Brown lets his body loose behind the keyboard, toes tapping, elbows…

College employee dies after battle with cancer

By | Sep 18, 2007

Linda Everett, a business operations specialist for Web, systems and departmental services, died Saturday night after a battle with cancer. Beth Rugg, manager for user support services in Information Technology Services (ITS), said Everett had a generous spirit and was particularly active with the Caring and Sharing Committee organized by Ithaca College. “[She was a]…

Park School Dean accepts Berkeley position

By | Jul 20, 2007

The University of California at Berkeley�s Board of Regents approved Dianne Lynch, dean of Ithaca College’s Roy H. Park School of Communications, as the new dean of their graduate school of journalism yesterday. In an e-mail today to Park students, faculty and staff, Lynch said she will leave the college in January. Diane Gayeski, a…

President Williams announces plans for retirement

By | Jul 12, 2007

President Peggy R. Williams announced today her plans to retire May 31, 2008. In an Intercom announcement released this afternoon, Williams said she met with Bill Schwab, chair of Ithaca College�s Board of Trustees, earlier this week to inform him of her decision. She will remain involved with the transition in a sabbatical role during…

College signs climate commitment

By | Jun 15, 2007

President Peggy R. Williams signed a letter of commitment to the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment on May 29, joining leaders from 393 institutions across the country pledging to reduce their carbon footprint. �In signing this commitment, we are taking another important step in addressing the human causes of global warming and in…

Park School Dean discusses UC Berkeley position

By | Jun 14, 2007

Dianne Lynch, dean of the Roy H. Park School of Communications at Ithaca College, was selected by officials at the University of California at Berkeley last month as their choice for the new dean of their graduate school of journalism. Editor in Chief Erica R. Hendry spoke with Lynch about the search, the selection and…

Dean of Park School selected for UC Berkeley position

By | May 29, 2007

Dianne Lynch, dean of the Roy H. Park School of Communications at Ithaca College, was selected by officials at the University of California at Berkeley on Friday as their choice for the new dean of their graduate school of journalism Lynch will be recommended to Berkeley�s board of regents at their July meeting, according to…

College announces Provost

By | May 16, 2007

Ithaca College has appointed Kathleen Rountree as provost and vice president for academic affairs, according to an Intercom alert released today by Dave Maley, associate director of Media Relations. Rountree, the associate provost for undergraduate education at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, will assume her duties Aug. 1. She was one of three…

Weekend break-in reported by police

By | May 10, 2007

A resident of Circle Apartment 5 reported four male subjects entered their building Sunday morning, according to a Public Safety alert released Tuesday by the college. Around 1:45 a.m., the resident awoke to find the intruders, who left the apartment on the resident�s request after removing a beverage from the refrigerator. According to the alert,…

Dalai Lama to visit college

By | May 7, 2007

The Dalai Llama will visit Ithaca College on Oct. 10, according to an Intercom announcement released this morning. The visit, sponsored by Ithaca’s Namgyal Monastery Institute of Buddhist Studies, includes a 2 p.m. lecture in Ben Light Gymnasium titled “Dharma Talk: Eight Verses on Training the Mind.” Tickets are available for $125, $75, $50 and…

Looking beyond shaded lines

By | May 3, 2007

Underneath the cover of senior Neli Mechenska’s sketchbook, shaded pencil strokes show the beginnings of a small seed. Carefully weaving soft angles across the page, the shapes show the evolution of a child until a woman emerges, a long braid cascading down her back in a single line off the page. As she traces the…