•  

September 24, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

Punchy visuals can’t save plot

By | Mar 30, 2011

Director Zack Snyder’s latest extravaganza, “Sucker Punch,” is an experiment in visual overindulgence gone wrong.

Display frames iconic American art

By | Mar 23, 2011

From fast-food chains to celebrity tweets and the clothes people wear, iconography is everywhere. Undergraduates of Cornell University’s History of Art Majors’ Society did an adequate job selecting the works featured in “iCON: Consuming the American Image,” an exhibit depicting the heavy influence of icons in everyday life.

Cage’s role brings new edge to career

By | Mar 2, 2011

Back in 1995, Nicolas Cage won an Oscar for his lead role in “Leaving Las Vegas,” but lately he has accepted far less noteworthy parts in flops such as this year’s “Season of the Witch.” However, the clichéd “Drive Angry 3-D” is an oddly fulfilling movie showcasing a reinvigorated and refocused Cage.

Dual talents combine to deliver fluid operatic performance

By | Mar 1, 2011

Opera had only been around for 10 years when Claudio Monteverdi debuted “L’Orfeo” to an Italian audience in 1607. As one of the earliest opera’s still performed today, Ithaca College’s goal was to make this centuries old classic appeal to a modern audience. With the combined talents of theater and music students, the college gave…

Italian opera to shed new light on Orpheus tale

By | Feb 23, 2011

All of the drama, love and despair of the Orpheus myth return to Ithaca College for a third time. After staging “Euridice” in 2009 and “Metamorphoses” in 2008, the theater department takes on the Italian opera “L’Orfeo” by Claudius Monteverdi, another retelling of the tale.

Film needs prayer to save sinful acting

By | Feb 16, 2011

Truly terrifying movies rarely grace the big screen these days because of over-cooked turkeys like “The Rite.”

Action arrives too late to spark thrills

By | Feb 10, 2011

The looming question of “What can go wrong while diving in caves?” echoes throughout the spooky underground adventure of the 3-D saga “Sanctum.” Whether it’s getting lost in uncharted territory or growing paranoid after countless wrong turns, the largely unknown cast of “Sanctum” begs the question: Is the expedition worth the pain?

Statham refines bad boy reputation

By | Feb 2, 2011

After starring in 2002’s “The Transporter,” Jason Statham has earned a “tough guy” reputation. But in “The Mechanic,” Statham proves he is more than a one-trick pony in his dramatic performance as Arthur Bishop, a hit man who lives to kill.

Weak screenplay kills deathly film

By | Nov 3, 2010

Actor Matt Damon goes back to his roots as a dramatic actor in the restrained film “Hereafter.” Despite the film being billed as “Inception” with a psychic, “Hereafter” turns out more dull than thrilling.

Diary-style approach focuses theme

By | Oct 27, 2010

While “The Social Network” won wide acclaim for its dramatized story of how Facebook was invented, the gripping documentary “Catfish” shows the ups and downs of being logged in — and tuned out. It delivers an important message to a society that relies heavily on online interaction.

Affleck delivers strong direction

By | Sep 29, 2010

While heist movies such as “Ocean’s Eleven” feature unrealistic story lines and over-the-top acting, Ben Affleck’s “The Town” is all business. Themes of loss, disappointment and dissatisfaction are combined with solid performances to create a stunning, emotionally charged film.

‘American’ movie flaunts Euro style

By | Sep 15, 2010

“The American” is a brilliantly dark and brooding film that breathes life into an otherwise forgetful slate of recent releases. Director Anton Corbijn helms the picture with his patient, methodical directing style, fusing plenty of burning passion with sparse action.