$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Bob Woodward addresses student media

Bob Woodward, most famous for his investigations of the Watergate scandal with fellow journalist Carl Bernstein, spoke to student and local media this afternoon about his work as a journalist and author, and about the war in Iraq.
Woodward, whose latest book “State of Denial” will serve as a centerpiece for his presentation at 7:30 p.m. in the Ben Light Gymnasium in the Hill Center, said the war has put the White House under stress and under siege.

“There is a pattern [of the Bush administration] of denying reality and sometimes even treating reality as wrong,” Woodward said. He said their political theatrics, such as the “Mission Accomplished” speech in 2003, have further confused the American public.

“We’re owed the truth at this point,” he said. “It’s the starting point of democracy.”

But Woodward said the press, including himself, did not report the beginning of the war as aggressively as they should have. He said because of this, the nation has not been mobilized.

“People have really become numb to what’s going on,” he said.

Woodward also offered advice to students hoping to have a career in media, a field, he said, is based on speed and impatience.

“The best journalism happens when you take your time with strong issues,” he said. “We shouldn’t be in a rushing mentality.”

$1520
$2000