$0
$3000

Class plans for Senior Week

From May 12 to 20, the Ithaca College Class of 2007 will spend Senior Week with their graduating class attending events such as lake cruises, wine tours and fireworks.

New to this eight-year tradition is a performance by the nationally acclaimed five-man a cappella group, Rockapella. The group is best known for singing the “Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?” theme song and their series of Folgers Coffee commercials. Rockapella will perform a 75-minute set at the Senior Splash event May 13. Senior Alex Moore, senior class president, said this event is unique.

“There has never been a concert of this scale,” Moore said.

Senior Week is funded by pass and ticket sales, as well as fundraising efforts, such as the black and white formal, the Mr. Ithaca pageant, senior weekend and happy hours — small, traditional events held throughout the year. Student Affairs, Campus Life and the Student Government Association pay for one-third of the week’s total cost, Moore said.

Senior Week passes cost $47 with a senior card and $62 without, up from the $40 to $60 prices last year. Pass sales raised 15 percent of the week’s cost this year. Senior Laurel Dreher, senior class vice president, said though Senior Week passes may seem pricy, she is happy they are not more expensive.

“I was very pleased with how the [ticket] prices turned out. We worked really hard this year,” Dreher said. “I was told it is one of the lowest prices in senior class history.”

The Senior Week Kick-Off Party on May 12 begins the week with music, dancing and pizza at Dino’s. Sunday’s Gold Coast Senior Splash on the Campus Center Quad will include human foosball, an inflatable obstacle course, a moonbounce, a bungee challenge, a giant slide, a live DJ, a barbecue, giveaways and the traditional fountain jump.

“I’m pumped about Senior Splash and Rockapella, that’s going to be sweet,” said senior Nick Sliwinksi.

The Kick-Off Party, Senior Splash Day, the Monte Carlo Casino Night on May 15 and the Carnivale Party at Castaways on May 16 are included in a Senior Week pass that seniors could purchase last month. Seniors who did not buy a senior pass can pay for the events at the door.

Three Senior Week events are not covered by the Senior Week pass: lake cruises, wine tours and a semiformal modeled after New Year’s Eve Times Square — with a ball drop. Tickets to these events had to be bought ahead of time. Dreher said ticket sales went well.

“The lake cruises and semiformal already met capacity,” Dreher said. “There are fire and safety precautions, otherwise they would be included in the [Senior Week pass] package.”

Many seniors stay for Senior Week to socialize with their peers, and enjoy the activities as a way to continue creating memories.

“It’s important to be able to see your friends one last time before you go out into the real world,” Sliwinski said.

Planning for these events began almost two years ago, Moore said. Senior Week co-chairs, seniors Nick Fusco and Jess Berman and juniors Brian Saa and Amanda Butts, put in hundreds of hours of planning, carrying much of the load.

“I know that myself, along with the rest of the co-chairs, have spent a large amount of time planning every aspect of the week to make sure that it is a memorable experience for all of the seniors,” Fusco said.

Fusco said he is expecting many people who did not buy Senior Week passes to show up and buy tickets at the door for individual events.

“As far as events where tickets can be purchased at the door, we are anticipating a large turnout, especially at Senior Splash,” Fusco said.

Regardless of price, Moore is confident about the upcoming occasion.

“This Senior Week will definitely be a step up over last year,” he said.

$0
$3000