$1620
$2000

$1620
$2000

$1620
$2000

$1620
$2000

Men’s basketball: Senior guard fuels Bombers in season opening win

The men’s basketball team opened the season with a 95-87 win over Hobart College at Ben Light Gymnasium Wednesday evening.

The Bombers were led by senior guard Chris Cruz-Rivas who scored 28 points to lead all scorers, and were also led by the double-double tandem of senior center Phil Barera who finished with 16 points and 14 rebounds and sophomore guard Sean Rossi who finished with 10 points and 12 assists. Freshman point guard Christian Jordan scored 15 points in his Bombers debut.

The Blue and Gold built an early nine-point lead, led by Cruz-Rivas who was three of three from three-point range early.

Hobart stormed back however, to take a 43-42 lead with just under a minute left in the first half behind ten points from sophomore guard Stephan Thompson.

The Bombers took a one point lead going into halftime on the final possession of the half when Rossi found freshman center Tom Sweeney for an easy lay up for his sixth assist of the first half.

Hobart jumped back on top early in the second half powered by the three ball but Cruz-Rivas responded with back-to-back baskets to give the Bombers a four point lead five minutes into the half.

The Blue and Gold extended the lead to ten as Rossi dished out his tenth assist to Andrei Oztemel who hit his second three pointer of the game with 8:53 left.

Hobart would cut the Bombers’ lead to four after a quick 6-0 run but baskets by Barera and a three pioint play by Jordan pushed the lead back to eight with five minutes left.

Three’s on consecutive possessions by Jordan would extend South Hill Squad’s lead to 85–75 with 02:19 to play. The Bombers hit their free throws down the stretch to hang on for the victory. Senior forward Matt Peoble who finished with 23 points and freshman Richie Bonney who finished with 22 points and 16 rebounds led Hobart.

$1620
$2000