$1620
$2000

$1620
$2000

$1620
$2000

$1620
$2000

Women’s basketball: Squad dominates Utica on senior day

The women’s basketball team dominated Utica College for the second time this season in a 75–61 win Saturday afternoon.

In a day dedicated to this year senior class, seniors Jane DeBiasse, Jordan Confessore and Elissa Klie all started. It was the first time this season all three players started in the same game for the Bombers.

After the Pioneers took an early 3–0 lead, Confessore put the Bombers on the scoreboard with her first bucket of the afternoon. Less than a minute later junior guard Jacqueline Shinall sank a 3-pointer to give the Blue and Gold a 5–3 lead and the Bombers cruised from there.

“It feels really good,” Klie said after the game. “It just makes it that much more special that it’s senior day. It was great because Jane, Jordan and I got to play a lot together today, which was awesome.”

After Shinall’s 3–pointer gave the Bombers the lead, the team extended its first half lead to as much as 24 point before the halftime buzzer sounded. The Blue and Gold dominated the Pioneers in the paint, outscoring Utica 30–8 during the first half in that category.

The Bombers also held the advantage in second-chance points, point off turnovers, fast-break points and points off the bench on the way to a 44–22 halftime lead.

“All the work that the underclassmen and everyone else put in just meant so much to us seniors,” DeBiasse said. “In the huddle before the game Riley (Dunn) was like ‘lets win this one for the seniors’ and it was just the best feeling, it was awesome.”

The second half saw the Bombers lead balloon to 30 points on two different occasions, but Utica cut the lead down to 14 before the final buzzer.

In her final regular season home game as a Bomber, Confessore led the Blue and Gold with 18 points and added nine rebounds and two steals. Freshman guard Jennifer Escobido added 16 points on 8-for-9 shooting from the field and grabbed 11 rebounds. Klie also chipped in with 14 points, 10 rebounds and seven steals.

“It was a good win,” Confessore said. “We played really well and to go up by that much on your senior day was a lot of fun and getting the win was definitely like icing on the cake.”

The Bombers next game will be Friday, Feb. 11 at St. John Fisher College at 6 p.m. The Blue and Gold will play one more regular season game at Ben Light Gymnasium on Tuesday, Feb. 15 at 6 p.m.

$1620
$2000