$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Men’s Soccer: Blue and Gold win thriller in extra time

The men’s soccer team defeated the Hamilton College Continentals today at Carp Wood Field in thrilling fashion. The game remained scoreless until the final minute of extra time when freshman forward Zach Hutchinson netted the game-winning goal.

Sophomore Jack Van Adelsberg started in goal for the Blue and Gold and was tested early. He made five saves on the day.

Head Coach Andy Byrne said the team didn’t play well in the first half but were recharged for the second half.

“We didn’t play quite as well in the first half,” he said. “But I think the fact that we rested guys and played some different guys gave us some of that energy in the second half.”

The Bombers outshot the Continentals 19–5 in the second half and overtime. Hamilton College Head Coach Perry Nizzi attributed the Bombers’ second half success to their strong play in the midfield.

“The second half they did a much better job coming through the midfield,” he said. “The first half their midfield was nonexistent. Then in the second half they started putting pressure on us because their midfield started controlling the ball.”

The Continentals had a golden opportunity to score in the 69th minute when they intercepted a goal kick, resulting in a breakaway. Van Adelsberg made the initial save, but the rebound was lofted over him. Sophomore back Brennan Edmonds got back in time to head the shot away from the open goal to preserve the tie.

The South Hill Squad dominated the end of regulation and overtime but couldn’t score. Then, with 20 seconds remaining in the second overtime, freshman forward Tim Goldman played Hutchinson in behind the defense where he poked it by the oncoming goalkeeper. Hutchinson said he just tried to beat the goalie to the ball.

“I didn’t know if I was going to get to the ball in time so I just tried to slide,” he said. “I just got good contact, and the next thing I know it was in the back of the net and all my teammates were rushing at me.”

$1520
$2000