$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Women’s Basketball: Blue and Gold roll through weekend road slate

The women’s basketball team (20–4 overall, 12–1 Empire 8) continued its roll through the Empire 8 Conference with a pair of road victories against Elmira College and Alfred University this weekend to put itself in position for a number one seed in the conference tournament.

The Bombers were spurred by a 21-0 run to blow open a close game and earn a 72-56 win at Elmira College (8–15 overall, 4–8 Empire 8) on Friday. The Blue and Gold trailed the Soaring Eagles 27-25 with 2:04 remaining in the first half before ripping off nine straight points to lead by seven at the break.

The South Hill squad didn’t lose a step in the second half and continued with a 12-0 run out of the locker room thanks in large part to seven points from junior forward Devin Shea in a span of five minutes. Shea scored finished with 11 points and added six rebounds, three assists and a pair of blocked shots.

Sophomore forward Jennifer Escobido had a double-double and led the Bombers with 21 points and 12 rebounds. Elmira’s Jessica Zoltowski led all scorers with 27 points.

The Blue and Gold carried the momentum right into Saturday’s contest at hapless Alfred University (7–17 overall, 0–13 Empire 8) with a dominant 68-37 victory Saturday. Escobido recorded a second straight double-double with game-high totals of 20 points and 15 rebounds in just 23 minutes of play.

The South Hill squad held the lead from the opening tip and led by as many as 35 points in the second half. The Bombers have won 36 straight games against the Saxons and are 46-4 against Alfred all-time.

Saturday’s win set up several big implications for the team’s final matchup of the regular season at Utica College. With a win, the Blue and Gold would clinch the Empire 8 regular-season title and would host the conference tournament on Feb. 24-25. A win over Utica would also mark the Bombers’ 21st victory of the season and would tie the program record for most victories in the regular season.

The South Hill squad close out the season with a 2 p.m. matchup Saturday at Utica.

$1520
$2000