$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Men’s Lacrosse: Bombers hold off Oneonta, set up clash of unbeatens with SUNY-Cortland

For three quarters, the Bombers looked like a team ready to take on the third best team in Division III. The fourth quarter almost ended their perfect start to the season.

The South Hill Squad blitzed SUNY-Oneonta for six straight goals between the first and second quarters for a 13-11 win against the Red Dragons. Senior attack Tom Mongelli and sophomore attack Pat Slawta each scored twice in that span.

The Blue and Gold built a big lead until two quick Red Dragon goals cut the Bombers’ lead to three at half. The South Hill squad responded with five goals in the third quarter — including Mongelli’s fourth goal with a second left to give the Bombers a six-goal lead after three.

Cortland came back again with four goals in just under six minutes, including two from junior midfielder Tyler Jennings, and cut the lead back to two. Ten seconds after Jennings’ goal, junior defenseman Scott Sorrillo’s shot was stopped by senior goalkeeper Brendan Green. Senior attack Devin Weinshank scored his sixth goal of the season just over a minute later to cap the Red Dragons’ rally.

The Bombers improved their record to 5—0, which is their best start since the 2009 season. They will host third-ranked SUNY Cortland, who also stand at 5—0, at 7 p.m. Friday at Higgins Stadium.

$1520
$2000