$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Bi-annual fair features 150 organizations

From left, sophomore Andreas Jonathan discusses a new student art club with potential member Fiyinfoluwa Adeyemo.
Shawn Steiner/The Ithacan

Ithaca College’s campus-wide Student Organization Fair was held Wednesday in Emerson Suites. With more than 150 student organizations represented, students had a lot of options.

The fair, which is sponsored by the Office of Student Engagement and Multicultural Affairs, takes place twice a year and is a venue for students to promote their clubs and organizations.

Junior Jenny Barish, vice president of IC Democrats, staffed a table at the fair for the first time this year.

“I’m impressed by the level of engagement on this campus and the diversity of the student organizations,” Barish said. “It’s a little bit intimidating. I’m not quite sure what the best way to get people attracted to our table is yet, but we’re working on it.”

To get students’ attention, organizations relied on creative strategies to stand out. The room was filled with multi-colored tablecloths and trifold boards. Many groups handed out candy, stickers and pamphlets. Some organizations had videos and slideshows playing, while others relied on music or sculptures.

Junior Rory Fawcett, vice president of the IC Red Cross, said there are many ways to get involved at the college, especially through volunteering.

“We want as many people to help us out as possible, but at the same time I know Up ‘til Dawn fundraises for Saint Jude’s, which is great,” Fawcett said.

Fawcett said the national prominence of the Red Cross organization helped gain new members, though sometimes the crowd was too large for students to notice the signage.

Freshmen and older students browsed the fair throughout the day, Radley said. While they walked around they encountered numerous clubs that dealt with their interests, each with different structure and requirements.

“People just have to find which club is best for them,” Fawcett said.

$1520
$2000