$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Baseball hits Scranton out of the park in home opener

From+left%2C+sophomore+first+baseman+Ryan+Laubscher+embraces+sophomore+second+baseman+Riley+Brawdy+after+the+Ithaca+College+baseball+teams+victorious+home+opener.+Brawdy+notched+his+third+home+run+of+the+season+to+secure+the+Bombers+win.+
AIDAN CHARDE
From left, sophomore first baseman Ryan Laubscher embraces sophomore second baseman Riley Brawdy after the Ithaca College baseball team’s victorious home opener. Brawdy notched his third home run of the season to secure the Bombers’ win.

The Ithaca College baseball team throttled the University of Scranton Royals 11–1 in its home opener March 22 at Freeman Field. 

The Bombers were led by junior third baseman Ethan Rothstein, who went three for three at the plate with three runs batted in and ripped a three-run home run in the bottom of the third inning to give the Bombers a 7–0 lead. First-year student pitcher Jack Colyer led the Bombers on the mound, giving up one run, two hits and striking out five over the course of five innings to pick up his first win of the season.

After Colyer sat down the first three batters in the top of the first inning, the Bombers came out swinging at the plate. With two outs in the bottom of the inning, graduate student right fielder Garrett Callaghan sent a shot into right center field and dug out a triple. Senior designated hitter Matt Fabian grounded to third, but an errant throw by the Royals’ third baseman took the first baseman off the bag and allowed Callaghan to score, giving the Bombers a 1–0 lead.

The Bombers added onto their lead in the bottom of the second after another Colyer 1–2–3 inning. Senior catcher Gil Merod started the inning with a double up the left field line, shortly followed by a base hit by Rothstein that advanced Merod to third. Senior center fielder Mike Nauta hit a sacrifice fly to center to score Merod, and sophomore second baseman Riley Brawdy capitalized, sending a double into right center field to give the Bombers a 3–0 lead.

The bottom of the third opened with hope for the Royals but ultimately ended in tragedy. Royals junior pitcher Mike Fox was brought on in relief and immediately struck out two Bomber batters. However, Fox was pulled for sophomore pitcher Jimmy Murray who gave up four runs in the inning, including a three-run bomb by Rothstein, to make it 7–0.

Colyer gave up his first hit of the game in the fourth inning after Royals sophomore shortstop Jake Elston hit a liner into center field for a single. Elston was caught off guard on the basepaths and Merod fired a beautiful throw to first to pick him off. The Bombers left the fourth unscathed.

With one out in the top of the fifth, the Royals finally got on the board with a one run home run by junior second baseman Jack Heineman. Colyer got out of the fifth recording another strike out and finished his day after five innings.

In the bottom of the sixth, the Bombers loaded the bases and the Royals walked sophomore designated hitter Nicholas Cutaia, bringing home Rothstein and giving the Bombers an 8–1 lead.

The Bombers added the last of their scoring barrage in the bottom of the seventh. Brawdy sent a moonshot over the right field fence for a three run home run and made the lead 11–1.

First-year student pitcher Landon White and senior pitcher Matt Chase closed out the Royals’ hopes in the eighth and ninth innings, giving the Bombers the win. 

Rothstein said he had a perfect day at the plate and he just let the pitches come to him.

“I was just trying to wait and hit it to right field,” Rothstein said. “I got the fastballs and I looked to take advantage of it.”

With it being the team’s home opener, Rothstein says that he loves the energy the team was showing.

“It’s exciting,” Rothstein said. “We had a clean game most importantly and it’s great to see the team going. The energy was great and you always love to win at home.”

The Bombers will next host the University of Rochester Yellowjackets in a doubleheader at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. March 25 at Freeman Field.

$1520
$2000