$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Nation and World News April 20

Andrew Caballero/AFP via Getty Images/TNS
Justin Nelson (center), joined by fellow members of the Dominion Voting Systems legal team, speaks to the media about Fox News’ settlement of a defamation case over falsehoods about the 2020 presidential election.

Man accused of shooting KC teen pleads not guilty in court

Andrew Lester, the 84-year-old white homeowner who is accused of shooting Ralph Yarl — a 16-year-old Black Kansas City teenager — last week, pleaded not guilty in Clay County court April 19. Judge Louis Angles read the bond conditions, which prohibit him from possessing any kind of weapon, and he was told to surrender any passports or conceal carry permits. Prosecutors allege Lester shot Yarl twice after he mistakenly went to the wrong address to pick up his brothers April 13.

Pentagon leak details in support of Ukraine sent from US allies

Since the day Russia invaded Ukraine nearly 14 months ago, President Joe Biden has cited the strength of the widespread international commitment to the mission of defending an independent democracy against an aggressor. But newly leaked secret U.S. government documents provide details of how some close non-European allies have been reluctant to provide arms to Ukraine, and in the case of Egypt, even considered supplying rockets to Russia because of competing interests and concerns.

Putin critic jailed for 25 years in the harshest anti-war ruling yet

Russia sentenced a prominent critic of President Vladimir Putin to 25 years in prison in the harshest sentence handed down to an opposition activist yet. Vladimir Kara-Murza, 41, a persistent campaigner against Putin’s rule who has condemned Russia’s war in Ukraine, was found guilty by a Moscow court of treason and other charges for criticizing the invasion, Russian news services reported. Kara-Murza had also actively lobbied for sanctioning Russian officials.

Death toll in April 16 Islamic State attack in Syria rises to 36

At least 36 people have been killed in an attack April 16 by the Islamic State terrorist militia in Syria, according to human rights activists. Armed fighters attacked the people while they were searching for truffles near the city of Hama in the west of the country, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported April 16. Those killed include 19 civilians and 17 members of a militia loyal to the government, according to the report.

Minnesota court rejects Derek Chauvin’s request for new trial

The Minnesota Court of Appeals on April 17 rejected former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin’s appeal for a new trial outside Hennepin County. The decision comes nearly three years since George Floyd’s murder in May 2020, when Chauvin knelt on the Black man’s neck for more than nine minutes. Chauvin’s appellate attorney William Mohrman argued that pretrial publicity — media coverage and calls for police reform — made a fair trial impossible. However, a three-judge panel issued a unanimous 50-page decision stating that Chauvin failed to show prejudice among jurors or in the publicity surrounding his trial. Presiding Judge Peter Reyes wrote the decision considered by him and judges Elise Larson and Roger Klaphake.

$1520
$2000