$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

College mourns death of student, sophomore Blaze Myers

Courtesy IC Intercom
The Ithaca College community gathered over Zoom on June 27 to share stories and remember sophomore Blaze Myers, who died by suicide June 15.

Myers was a student in the School of Business. Myers graduated from Boyertown Area Senior High School in Pennsylvania and attended Bloomsburg University before transferring to Ithaca College for Fall 2022. He worked as a producer for the ICTV show Newswatch, and was a cadet in the Cornell University ROTC program. Myers was also active in Hillel at Ithaca College and recreational sports.

Bonnie Prunty, vice president of Student Affairs and Campus Life and Marsha Dawson, dean of Students, Student Affairs and Campus Life, notified the campus community of Myers’ passing with an Intercom email notice on June 20. Prunty and Dawson invited the campus community to join the Zoom meeting to remember Myers.

Yasin Ahmed, director of the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life, led the Zoom meeting. Ahmed showed photos of Myers and opened the discussion to attendees. 

Lauren Goldberg, executive director of Hillel at Ithaca College, said Myers had a warm demeanor and frequently helped her clean up after Hillel events. 

“Whenever he and I were in conversation, I just felt like … he was really, really listening,” Goldberg said. “Blaze was always so present and so genuine.”

Walter Cuevas, military science instructor at Cornell University ROTC, was Myers’ ROTC instructor. Cuevas told The Ithacan that Myers used the training he received as a member of the Pennsylvania National Guard to help his fellow cadets. 

“He was almost like my subject matter expert within the class,” Cuevas said. “Whenever I’d teach, he’d always have some type of input within the class. … He kind of mentored a few people.”

First-year student Thomas Stark met Myers through ROTC and they became roommates for Spring 2023. Stark told The Ithacan that Myers was an animated person who spread joy to others. 

“He’d have the goofiest laugh … [and] he had a really good heart,” Stark said. “He always tried to improve everyone’s life around him.”

Myers’ mother, Mary Peterson, asked the college community to try and spread light as Myers did. 

“What Blaze was and what Blaze represented was just love,” Peterson said. “He truly was about love, loving everyone. To do that, smile at the next person you see, ask somebody if they’re OK — be willing to do those little things that he did. It’s small, but that might be the most important thing that happened to that person that day.” 

Peterson also asked those gathered to care for their mental health and seek help for themselves and their loved ones when needed.

“I’ve had a lot of the kids from [the college] reach out to me and tell me … how easy it was for him to empathize with others, and advocate for others, and how difficult it was for him to advocate for himself,” Peterson said. “I hope that it’s a lesson for other people and they realize how much strength it takes to advocate for yourself sometimes.”

All of the individuals who spoke during the Zoom meeting emphasized that no one is ever alone. Brian Petersen, director of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services, encouraged those at the meeting to utilize the college’s mental health and counseling resources. 

“One of the things that I think is most important is to not be alone with grief,” Petersen said. “I think coming together like this is an important part of that, but just recognize that this touches a lot of people and to be connected and to be able to share one’s feelings … at a time like this is crucial.” 

Students can make appointments for virtual or in-person sessions with Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) counselors by calling 607-274-3136 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Students can reach counselors outside of these hours by calling 607-274-3136 and selecting the #5 prompt, or call the Office of Public Safety at 607-274-3333 for immediate assistance. 

Students can access grief resources by visiting the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life’s website or by emailing [email protected]. Students can submit an ICare referral to receive assistance with accessing the college’s grief resources.

Faculty and staff can call 1-800-327-2255 to access counseling services from the Employee Assistance Program. 

Individuals who are in crisis or are concerned about loved ones can call the National Suicide and Crisis Hotline at 988 to receive 24/7 free and confidential support and resources.

At the end of the meeting, Ahmed encouraged attendees to recognize their community and know that they have support at the college. Peterson reminded the group to care for themselves and others. 

“Speak your mind and make a difference,” Peterson said. “Make sure you’re advocating for yourself, because you can’t help others until you’re well.”