$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Women’s basketball extends winning streak to four games

In the midst of a three-game winning streak, the women’s basketball team stifled Elmira College 63–42 Jan. 27 to pick up its fourth consecutive victory. The Bombers are now 7–1 in their last eight games after dropping three games below .500 on Jan. 3. With the win against Elmira, the team is now 11–7 on the season and in Empire 8 Conference play.

After defeating Elmira by an impressive 34 points at home Jan. 12, the Blue and Gold proved they have the Soaring Eagle’s number this season by once again winning by double digits. The Bombers saw three players score in double figures, while junior forward Erin Ferguson picked up her second double-double of the season with 10 points and 10 rebounds. She also played a crucial role on defense by adding two blocks and collecting three steals.

Senior guard Keri Steele led the Blue and Gold with 13 points on an efficient 4–7 shooting from the field, including one 3-pointer and four rebounds. Junior guard Ali Ricchiuti finished with 10 points, her third straight game scoring in double figures. Ricchiuti also collected four rebounds, four assists and two blocks.

Overall, the Bombers shot poorly throughout the game, finishing at 34 percent from the field and 25 percent from 3-point range. However, their stifling defense managed to maintain the Elmira offense. The team finished with 13 total steals and five blocks.

Sophomore forward-guard Julie Yacovoni and freshman guard Meghan Mazzella played effective minutes off the bench, as they added nine and eight points, respectively. Mazzella’s eight points were a career-high as she also made her first career 3-pointer while making three of her four free throw attempts.

Freshman guard Meghan Pickell contributed two assists on offense, but her presence was truly felt on the defensive end of the floor as she collected three steals and six rebounds in 16 minutes off the bench.

Elmira was led by sophomore guards Emily Green and Danielle Cleary, who each scored 13 points while shooting a combined 10–30 from the field.

The Blue and Gold return to action at 4 p.m. Jan. 30 at Nazareth College in Rochester, New York, and will look to pick up a fifth consecutive victory against another Empire 8 opponent.

$1520
$2000