$1275
$2000

Adelitas album loses way with cliché soft rock tunes

Adelitas Way is one group that, despite its best intentions, fails to leave a lasting impression on any music junkie.  After listening to their self-titled album, the first word that comes to mind is “insufficient.”

The band continues to play on the distorted and angst-ridden tones that defined rock music in the late 1990s. The album is relentless in its energy, and the band does not waste any time acting the part of “rock band.” The guitars, provided by Chris Iorio and Keith Wallen, are generally loud and heavily distorted. The sound from their amplifiers is nearly identical to anything by Nickelback, Avril Lavigne or Sum 41.

Meanwhile, Rick DeJesus’ vocals are just as unexceptional. The themes found in the lyrics are restricted to aggression, pain, angry makeup sex and messy breakups. If he’s not shouting — which he does unnecessarily — he’s crooning the lyrics in a style that is almost laughable in its attempt to appear earnest or heartfelt. The clichéd lyrics “bottled up inside” are immediately a red flag signaling a serious hole in the band’s creativity.

The songs offer little diversity.  They feel planned, orchestrated and perfected in a producer’s studio, making the finished product feel anything but novel.

The opening track, “Invincible,” is clearly the kind of song that contemporary rock radio stations will love and will keep on heavy rotation for a few weeks and then forget about. It is fast-paced and has plenty of shouting and squealing guitars over a heavy and thudding kick drum, but if listeners want to find something truly original, they had better look elsewhere.

The release represents the current state of rock music in America. What the genre needs is original thinking and fresh ideas — no more greasy hair, faded denim and worn leather.

$1275
$2000