$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Ithaca: Home of the First Sundae

This excerpt originally appeared in the story “Ice Cream Social”

For years, there’s been an icy battle between Ithaca, N.Y., and Two Rivers, Wy., over where the ice cream sundae originated, and it’s been anything but sweet.

In Ithaca, Rev. John Scott visited Platt & Colt Pharmacy on April 3, 1892, to chat with the shop’s owner, Chester Platt, after Sunday’s service. Platt ordered two bowls of vanilla ice cream from his shop’s fountain clerk and topped each with cherry syrup and candied cherries. The reverend and shop owner were so enamored with their new concoction that they decided to name it Sunday after the day it was created.

According to the Two Rivers Historical Society, George Hallauer ordered the first ice cream sundae in 1881. Hallauer asked a soda fountain owner to pour chocolate sauce over his ice cream — a topping typically used only for ice cream sodas.

Google celebrated the 119th anniversary of the ice cream sundae with a special retro logo March 3, standing by Ithaca’s claim to sundae fame.

Source: WhatsCookingAmerica.net

$1375
$2000