$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

A NEW CAAAAR! (and other stuff)

In a frenzied, almost bacchanal orgy of materialistic pleasure, Oprah (yet again) excited her audiences this month with more and more things. It’s the Christmas that could give you a heart attack…it’s Oprah’s “Favorite Things 2010.” In the episodes, which aired Nov. 19 and today, Nov. 22, Oprah garnished her studio audiences with a potpourri of gifts and surprises from iPads and cruises to automobiles and credit cards.

I’m completely against Oprah’s “Favorite Things” segment as a frivolous display of disgusting avarice, but you have to admit; it makes for hilarious television. And don’t lie, you’d be excited too. Just like the middle-aged mothers crying on the shoulders of their equally shocked husbands, people shouting and chanting to the gods of gifts and yuletide joy as they get bombarded with presents and Oprah’s booming voice…relatives kiss each other in bliss…strangers start hugging one another in a uncontrollable crescendo of gluttony.

But isn’t that what Christmas is all about? Things?

As we enter the holiday season, let’s try to remember the real reason for the season. Whether you’re Christian, Jewish, Muslim, agnostic or whatever, Christmas is about loving, giving and sharing. And when someone gives you something, pass it on so everyone gets a share in the happiness.

Now I wonder what these people will do with their very special Christmas gifts?…studio audience or not.

$1375
$2000