As of late, my friends, classmates and Facebook newsfeed have had to endure my endless speculation as to U2’s summer touring plans. This leg of their incredibly epic 360˚ Tour is now happening this summer instead of last summer due to Bono’s unfortunate back injury. My friend and I have had tickets to their Philadelphia show for almost a year now and are still planning on making the trip from Rhode Island to see them.
Problem: there is no Boston date on this tour.
To me, this is a major problem and one that should be remedied as soon as possible by the band and their manager, Paul McGuinness. As lucky as I am to be seeing them once, I’d like to make it the summer to remember by seeing them in my favorite city. Hopefully this will occur if they announce a date at Fenway Park. Here is my reasoning of why it is imperative that a Boston date be added to the tour:
- The band is hitting other major cities that are relatively close to Boston (New York, Philadelphia, Toronto and Pittsburgh)
- Boston was the city that basically introduced the United States to U2 after their groundbreaking show at Paradise Rock Club (one of my favorite venues)
- This year will be the 30th anniversary of that show.
- They filmed their Elevation Tour video in Boston
- This year will be the ten year anniversary of that show
These are just a few of the reasons why I believe Bostonians wishes will be granted. However, until any news, if any, is released, I will continue to check U2.com on an hourly basis.